Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A question to those with huge boards / tech geniuses.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• pmgpmg Frets: 298
    edited November 2014
    Cabling and powering my board cost over £500. Much like buying decent stands, you'll hate spending the cash initially, but once you have them you'll forget about the cost and just enjoy knowing it all works properly :-)
    WOW! How big is your board and what do you use? You're right though, it's worth the piece of mind it provides
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I did the looper route recently and it worked out reet proper man. Its a Bright Onion job - £250 roughly and then George Ls all round (I can't get the hang of Lavas and know where I am with GLs). Power wise - you can daisy chain analogue pedals if you're feeding them with a high current unit like a Diago, Gig Rig Generator or One Spot but keep digital ones isolated either with their original PSUs (saves money but looks ugly) or doing the Voodoolab / Trex jobs if you want to save space. 
    So it went from this:
    To this:
    Under the shelf:
    http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/samgoldshark/IMG_0132_zps94f762f1.jpg

Its really quiet and the top end is retained and I don't have to worry about one cable / pedal taking down the whole chain mid gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Irrespective of not doing the looper route, I now feel better about my pedal buying habits :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4544
    MikkiMcMurderer;420540" said:
    no way. can't you see the glint in that guys eyes. he'll take you down in a heartbeat
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited November 2014
    I have 10 pedals on my board; 5 in the front and 5 in the loop, both having their own power supplies (the drives are actually powered by the TU-3 and a daisy chain) and they are as silent as an angel's fart. Cables are nothing to write home about, Jonny Shredfreak cheapies actually. 

Gets the job done. :-\"
  • dilbert said:
    I have 10 pedals on my board; 5 in the front and 5 in the loop, both having their own power supplies (the drives are actually powered by the TU-3 and a daisy chain) and they are as silent as an angel's fart. Cables are nothing to write home about, Jonny Shredfreak cheapies actually. 

Gets the job done. :-\"

The issue is that I have twice that number, a handful of which are challenging power wise.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    edited November 2014 tFB Trader
    You really need to break your board down and isolate what the problem is before you start spending money.

What very often happens is that a digital pedal will piss noise into the power daisy chain which will be picked up by the analog pedals (often drive or compressor). This confuses people because they then think the the problem is the drive pedal (for example) when it fact it could be the delay. 

Try your pedals in different combinations and work out what is noisey and what isn't. Using really expensive cables is going to make minimal difference unless one is actually broken so start with the power supply 

Cheap PSUs can cause issues. The bass player in my band had loads of noise problems and we ended up simply replacing the shitty PSU he had with a 1-Spot and it fixed the problem without having to isolate anything.
  • Yeah, I have a one spot though, and the correct supplies for the whammy, the line 6 and the empress. It's an odd one.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Have you tried them in different combinations?

You will probably find if you chain just your digital pedals it's relatively quiet and if you just chain all your analog pedals it will be relatively quiet, but when you mix them it will be noisey. 
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    GavHaus said:
    The issue is that I have twice that number, a handful of which are challenging power wise.
    Have you tried separate power sources, i.e. sockets or do they all come off a power strip?. 
  • MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited November 2014
    Show us a picture of the pedalboard all plugged in - that may prompt an more accurate diagnosis....
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited November 2014
    @pmg - It's like a christmas list come good :-)

CAE Wah - Cornish G-2 - Boss GE-7 - EB Volume - TC Polytune - Effectrode Comp - Cornish CC-1 - Kingsley Jouster - Boss PS-5 - Strymon Mobius - Hartman Flanger - Strymon El Capistan - Providence Chrono Delay (controlled by a Gigrig QuarterMaster 6)

That lot on a Pedaltrain Pro, and powered by Cioks and Voodoo Labs

Have a Cornish P-1 on order, then I'm hoping I'm done with pedals!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    @GavHaus

You might invest in one of these to run all the mains plugs off- I have one and it made a world of difference, not least that I can switch everything off with one switch of a button

Have a good look at their range- Pete Cornish told me about them and he uses them in his rigs....cheap too- £90 for my strip.

http://www.olson.co.uk/13a_filter.htm

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.