Top 5 Rarest Boss Pedals

What's Hot
MarkGAKMarkGAK Frets: 118
edited November 2014 in FX

Hello all.

I had a bit of time off recently and wanted to test out my green screen and presenting skills, so I made this video about rare Boss pedals. If you're into pedals, you might enjoy it. I'd really appreciate any feedback!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Nice work! Subscribed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MarkGAKMarkGAK Frets: 118
    RMJ said:
    Nice work! Subscribed.
    Awesome. Cheers!
  • Nice one. Well put together, and good presenting skills. From the list I'd only heard of the Slow Gear before.
  • Nice one. Well put together, and good presenting skills. From the list I'd only heard of the Slow Gear before.

ditto on all that :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Great fun. 

I want a Zakk Wylde SD-1 now. A bottle of Tipp-Ex and a roll of black insulating tape should do it...
  • Nice video, although I thought there was a Zakk Wylde CH1 too with a slightly different paint job. I also believe one of the SD1's sold on ebay in the UK a year or so ago.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • The biggest thing that struck me when some of those Boss pedal were on screen with you is just how big they were, no wonder they didn't make many of them.

Seriously though that was a great video and the right kind of  intensity and length to hold your attention
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Really interesting and very nicely done.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72395
    I've owned the SP-1, SG-1 and VB-2, and I can understand why they're rare.

The Spectrum is just not very "effective" - it's essentially a stuck wah type sound, but less dramatic. Not actually bad, but I can't see many players finding it very useful. Apparently some bass players did though, I seem to remember JJ Burnel using one.

The Slow Gear is great, but unusable live because they forgot to add a boost control to compensate for the fact that the attack part of the note is where the perceived volume comes from, so if you remove it without drastically raising the level then you suddenly become inaudible in the mix. There's also quite a learning curve to picking just staccato enough to allow it to re-trigger on every note, and if you get it wrong the next note comes out at full volume.

The Vibrato just made me feel seasick :). Neil Finn and Roland Orzabal were users though, so I may have just not been creative enough to get the best out of it.

The SP-1 I bought and sold for a small profit, I can't remember how much, it was a very long time ago. The VB-2 I bought and sold for the same price, £40 I think - also a long time ago. The SG-1 was the best… bought for £20 in Cash Generator, and sold for £100 on Ebay immediately after the first band practice I tried it at!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Yes, I remember being incredibly disappointed when I tried out a Slow Gear when they came out. I was well into Steve Hillage and used a volume pedal, but thought the SG1 would save all that foot-work. WRONG!

As ICBM says, the necessity for precise picking and the fact that you were stuck with the fixed attack velocity made it useless to me. Wish I'd bought one now though.
    The Vibrato pedal was a no-go for me then. And I really can't see the appeal. I'll make do with my Dano Chicken Salad!
  • Graham Coxon is a noted user of the VB2, you can hear it on the Blur song Tender. I had the Behringer knock off and from it sounded much better with a unaffected sound blended in
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    Graham Coxon is a noted user of the VB2, you can hear it on the Blur song Tender. I had the Behringer knock off and from it sounded much better with a unaffected sound blended in
    But that just makes it a chorus :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    edited November 2014
    ICBM said:

The Spectrum is just not very "effective" - ..... I seem to remember JJ Burnel using one.

Then it's great. Or are you going to argue with the hardest man in rock n roll?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    ICBM said:
    The Spectrum is just not very "effective" - ..... I seem to remember JJ Burnel using one.
    Then it's great. Or are you going to argue with the hardest man in rock n roll?
    Me? No. He can have all of them if he wants!

:)

I can understand why it might have worked well for him actually - he used Marshall guitar heads if I remember rightly, and you can probably get a tighter overdriven sound for bass with them if you narrow the frequency range a bit.

edited November 2014
    @ICBM

He is often forgotten in terms of truly great bassists, but I'd have him right up there. You always know it's JJ the moment you hear a couple of notes- that's the sign of a great player. One of the all time greats IMO.

And, by far the coolest bassist ever!

ADD: JJ used to use old Marshalls, but for eons he's been an Ashdown endorsee. Woe betide them if they forget to pay him...two kicks to the head and they'd be down...

http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/5a0/17/Signature-Series-/83/JJB500/

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    @ICBM - Not surprised at your comments -rarity and value doesn't mean that the pedals are great from a playing perspective. Unlike something like the Roland CE1 chorus ensemble which is arguably the best sounding chorus pedal ever made and are as rare to find being sold as rocking horse droppings! >:D<
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • glynesglynes Frets: 131
    Rare is a relative term I guess. There's always tons of Slow gears on ebay and they're even more common on japanese auction sites and shops. Should have called it "Top 5 most expensive boss pedals" because you missed out the only production boss pedal that can be somewhat challenging to find.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I got the vb2 for 15 quid about a year back from Denmark Street. I don't know why they sold it as broken. It worked fine for me. Maybe they tested it in bypass mode.. Made a tidy profit on it.
    Branshen said:
    I got the vb2 for 15 quid about a year back from Denmark Street. I don't know why they sold it as broken. It worked fine for me. Maybe they tested it in bypass mode.. Made a tidy profit on it.
    That bypass mode was odd! Why??? :)

They also might have tested it in unlatch mode with the rise time set high, and thought the switching was faulty. I got one of my DF-2s cheap because "the feedbacker doesn't work" - the owner didn't realise you have to hold the pedal down. Although I did have another one where the feedbacker genuinely didn't work too - dead chip.