Who pays postage on busted stuff?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
in FX tFB Trader
If I get a pedal that's DOA from an online shop.

Who pays postage to send it back?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't know about legally, but if they are looking after you, it should be part of their costs of trading, not part of your risk of buying.  IMHO obvs.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    depends on t&cs
  • Unless their t&cs specify otherwise then you pay return postage, but get original postage returned. It's an arse of a system and most decent or savvy sellers would offer to pay the return to avoid negative feedback.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    HotRox have been totally shit and incompetent so far so I'm not holding my breath.
  • HotRox have been totally shit and incompetent so far so I'm not holding my breath.
    Shit man, I heard these were the good guys...
  • I often wonder if something has changed at Hot Rox. I used to find them pretty fantastic, but the last few times I have dealt with them the have been pretty dire. The very last time I was building a reverb tank for a friend, I ordered the exact tank I needed because they said it was in stock to be delivered the next day. Over two weeks later it hadn`t turned up and they said they didn't have it and were still trying to source one. After a few more days of correspondence with me explaining how urgently I have needed it they finally gave me a refund and I got it elsewhere actually delivered the next day.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    edited November 2014
    Consumer law and distance selling regs protect you in this instance, as the item is not fit for purpose then you have to be put back into the position that you were in ie you shouldn't be out of pocket.

Lots of good info here, but in my experience retailers and customer support type people are not well informed about this and you should always be prepared with all the relevant regs and be ready for an argument. Often, if they don't play ball then a well written letter with the relevant regs quoted and an appropriate threat of small claims court action gets their attention.

Also if even just part of the pedal was purchased on a CREDIT card then you can get come back from them as the contract is also with them.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

If it were me and they were refusing to pay postage then to get the ball rolling I would probably complain, pay it and then chase after a refund afterwards.

Edit-thinking about it, as the fault might not br immediately obvious in that it's not visually broken, I would record a video of it showing the fault, just in case..
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ^ Yeah I was under the impression that if it's faulty, you shouldn't be out of pocket at all.

That being said I've paid return postage in the past on faulty pedals. When it's only a couple of quid you often decide it's not worth the hassle. Which of course lets the shop off with it. :(