Comments

• Really nice .... Lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How can you ask £15,000 and not even say what it is?

It's a knackered, vaguely Les Paul-like guitar that has probably never seen the inside of the Gibson factory.....

That'll be £15k please....
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    That's been on eBay for ages, if not years! The guy has all manner of 'vintage' gear at ludicrous prices, I don't think he really wants to sell any of it!

He once had a Plexi head listed that he claimed to have been Paul Kossoff's then Mick Ralphs' so I was interested but the provenience was an email saying how much their tour manager was a c*ck or something along those lines! :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    :))
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

He's had that one up before.  Also the "59/60" ES 335 with the sideways Vibrola (which is actually a '61 by the headstock serial number in the ebay photos!) he's had it on eBay as long as I've been looking at guitars on eBay i.e. at least 6 years!

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2170
    Wow- just when you think you've seen it all!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • To be fair, it does look like a genuine 1950s Gibson 911 Turbo...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7489
    edited November 2014
    What a rookie.

THE BODY IS MADE OF THE RARE HONDURAS MAHOGANY AND IS HEAVY. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15600
    nothing suspicious at all about that description. Seems perfectly reasonable to me

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    He does not think it's a "50s or 60s but could be" so he will charge 15k anyways!
    That description is a total mess and the way he words it, clearly shows its a crap guitar with no proof at all of its provenance, and he knows it.

This guy needs his head examining if he is to believe someone will pay that kind of silly money for that monstrosity.

I love the part where he says "one of the pots is not original".... Original to what exactly?
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited November 2014
    This is a general topic that I actually know something about!

That listing is a complete and utter joke. It could be anything. A replica. A Tokai. If he wants to sell it he needs to get it to an expert asap (maybe Richard Henry) and get them to examine the guitar - particularly the control cavity. Problem is - I suspect the answers will not be what he wants to hear.

I upset somebody on LPF last year by expressing an opinion that a fully documented Conversion (by a respected individual) has "better provenance" than many all original vintage guitars, including several 'Bursts for sale which have unravelled in the past few months. If Scott Lentz looks at a '53 Les Paul and says: "Yep - that's a '53 Les Paul".....and then removes the neck and the finish (fake undisturbed 50's neck pockets are hard to get past a guy who has opened 30 of them. Or 50)...... I think that is pretty conclusive. In fact....it is 100% conclusive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    I think it's obviously fake just from looking at the pics.

The switch is too close to the edge of the body relative to the neck and the corner of the pickup surround. On a real Les Paul, it's at the 'visual centre' of that area of the body. This one is too far back and outward.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I think this guy had a burst listed a few years ago and LPF and MLP forums ripped it apart and deduced that it was, at best, a re-topped conversion. Total joke his listings.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    edited November 2014
    Well the fingerboard looks genuine, the pickup screws however aren't

• It sounds like he may have a phantom fretboard polishing ghost problem too... :) 

THE FRET BOARD LOOKS POLISHED IN THE PICTURES BUT IT IS NOT.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • vizviz Frets: 10718
    edited November 2014
    ICBM said:
    I think it's obviously fake just from looking at the pics.

The switch is too close to the edge of the body relative to the neck and the corner of the pickup surround. On a real Les Paul, it's at the 'visual centre' of that area of the body. This one is too far back and outward.

Yes and indeed the body shape doesn't look right at that point, shouldn't it be rounder? Shouldn't the curved corner extend further forward towards the fretboard? It looks like it's too small by a sliver of a crecent moon's worth.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Guys, this guitar is an outright fake. He's been attempting to sell various fake Les Pauls for years. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317

He has very similar bathroom floor tiles to me.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Richard Henry has joined us!

:D

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Faker than katie price's tits.
    The switch is just so poorly placed, and i think the body is just off too.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom