Pedalboard Cabling

What's Hot
therose789therose789 Frets: 467
Hi all,

Just wanting opinions on what you guys use to wire your pedalboards together? At the moment i have a right old mix up of cables and want to tidy it all up/upgrade the cheapy cables i use. 

What can you all recommend? Solderless? Pre made? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I am digging the Lava solderless ones. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11940

I just wired my entire board up with Lava Sodlerless.  Make sure you watch the video on Youtube (one made by them), as opposed to try and follow the instruction it comes with.

Get a multimeter to test when done.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025

I just wired my entire board up with Lava Sodlerless.  Make sure you watch the video on Youtube (one made by them), as opposed to try and follow the instruction it comes with.

Get a multimeter to test when done.

yep, exactly what he said.

Get a cheap multi off amazon, 2m setting
  • Yeah i have been eyeing these up. I think i might go for a couple of the tight rope kits. Need just over 20 cables! might have to do it gradually. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11940
    Yeah i have been eyeing these up. I think i might go for a couple of the tight rope kits. Need just over 20 cables! might have to do it gradually. 

You will need 3 packs of the stuff then. 

To crim the end of the core and strip the black stuff, I tend to use a nail clipper.  Seems to work best, just literally just clip off excess and use it to make a mark on the black sleeve and peel it off with the nail.

• I'd say it depends on whether you are the kind of person who will be forever changing out pedals, or are more likely to keep the same set up for a while.

The Lava one's are great/the best if you will be fairly settled with your setup/layout, but if you find yourself wanting to add/subtract/move pedals around, it can become a bit of a chore having to cut new lengths/trim them down etc. And then, if you make a mistake and your new cable doesn't work for some reason, it can sometime be a bit of a waste.

I've moved onto the George L's which allow me a bit more freedom - it's far easier/quicker to take them apart and make up new lengths if and when I need to. Since the cables are also thinner, they are also a tad more flexible than the Lava one's.

• allicioallicio Frets: 221
    Evidence audio sis kit.
    Miles better than the lava soldeeless which I sold.
    Better quality all round
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    edited November 2014
    Using a multimeter instructions i got given,
    Set it to read resistance (Ω's). Start with the highest Ω setting on your meter. With the probes not touching anything it should read infinite. Touch the probes to each other and it should read zero.

Touch the probes to the tips of the two ends of the cable. Should read zero. Otherwise the hot signal conductor in the center of your cable is broken (or there's a bad solder joint to it in one of the plugs).

Touch the probes to the shafts of the two ends of the cable. Should read zero. Otherwise the braided shield layer in your cable is broken (or there's a bad solder joint to it in one of the plugs).

Touch the probes to one tip and one shaft. Should read infinite. Otherwise you have a short between the conductor and shield in your cable (or a solder joint that is shorting them in one of the plugs.)

I set the mater to 20k. Tip to tip reads zero tip to shaft reads 1
    Hope this helps
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    I've used George L's for years. Never had a single problem with them.
  • I don't like these cable kits!  Solder your own or pay a mate to do it for you - he'll probably do it one first friday of the month with curry for payment. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 668
    +1 for Evidence Audio SIS. I tried most things, but these have stayed on my board for a couple of years now, with a fair amount of pedal swappage too!