Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

N(P)LD [New (Prosthetic) Leg Day

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5030

Some of you will be aware that I am an amputee.  Left leg through knee amputation in 1979 [the knee and lower is ‘gone’, the femur is intact].  For nearly 25 years my prosthetic leg was similar to those supplied to amputees in World War 1.  A leather socket and 75 mm wide strap around my waist.  Pretty much zero comfort but at least I could walk.  A little.

Prosthetic legs don’t last forever – typical life is 3 to 4 years – and I asked the limb fitter if the modern limbs would be suitable for me.  By modern I mean laminate socket and built using modular parts.  The limb is ‘held on’ by an ingeniously simple suction system.  The modular design makes the limb almost infinitely adjustable.  So one was built for me.  The lack of a waist strap showed how much support the strap was giving my back all those years.  Or to put it more accurately, how weak the muscles in my back, where the strap was, had become.  Severe back pain was the result, even today I suffer back pain but not as severe as during the first couple of years after the elimination of the strap.

Prosthetic limbs are all bespoke, there is no one size fits all.  The socket is the interface between the wearer and the limb, the fitting of the socket determines how comfortable the limb is to wear.   A silicon liner is worn between the stump and the socket.  Silicon liners typically last about 1 year. 

Prosthetic limbs are costly, a complete limb works our around €8K give or take, a new socket about €5K and the silicon liners are around €850 each.  An amputee needs 2 limbs and at least 2 silicon liners to cover for breakages.

I collected my new limb last Thursday.  This is fitted with an Otto Blok “Torsion Adaptor” that allows me to turn a few degrees either way without the foot changing position or moving.  It also has a short  up/down movement which softens the blow from the ground when walking.  I was told that this limb would take up to a week to get used to as it feels less steady than the rigid system I was familiar with.

Every new or reconditioned limb [new socket etc.] takes a few hours/days for the muscles/brain to learn how to use it.  The Torsion Adaptor added to this difficulty but over the weekend I began to get the hang of it.  Now my old rigid limb feels extremely rigid and inflexible.  I am told that the Torsion Adaptor will help when I play golf.  That would be a bonus as I need all the help I can get playing golf!

Over the years I have seen wonderful looking bionic limbs featured on TV programs such as “Tomorrows World”.  Most of these are merely design concepts – hardly any end up being actually used in the real world.  But the last 20 years has seen considerable increases in understanding of how people walk.  This understanding is feeding into the thinking of the prosthetic limb component manufacturers.  The next 25 to 50 years ought to see limbs taking major steps forward [pardon the pun] as technology is used more and more.  Similar to how mobile phones, iDevices and cars use computer technology/improved batteries etc.. 

I hope so anyway.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice one. Happy N(P)LD 

:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a mate who is a guitarist and has a prosthetic leg so I've been aware of some of his issues. Probably not his greatest issue but he could never work a wah!
    Happy NPLD :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I am pleased for you, that torsion adaptor sounds like a major improvement.

Today I learned several new things thanks to your post.

Please do take care of your back and work on strengthening the muscles, it is *so* easy to do damage.

Happy NPLD, now get back to that game of golf, you'll soon be in the swing of it  :)

• Awesome news.  Best of luck with it.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Really happy for you.  Hope it helps with the golfing!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I hope it all works out for you. All the very best. 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4307
    edited November 2014
    No pic's, no thread.

:D
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    The torsion adapter sounds sexy, in a Terminator sort of way.

Happy NPLD!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    Hooray.. That's great news.
  • Awesome post! Best of luck with it
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Congrats.

Not going to get a springy blade?
    My V key is broken
  • Very informative post! Happy NPLD!
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    holnrew said:
    Congrats.

Not going to get a springy blade?
    If they do that to your shooting imagine how bad he'd be at golf.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    Wow; total kudos to you and best of luck- great to read in many, many ways.

As an aside, I also know now why your soubriquet is 'Rocker'.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16075

way tae go

take it easy Bro

tae be or not tae be
  • Best wishes @Rocker. Respect for getting on with life despite that hassles.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    That's the thing about this place; you never know what thread title will pop up next! Nice one Rocker, good on ya, and good news about the leg!

• RockerRocker Frets: 5030
    Thanks guys for all the positive comments.  Enjoyed your post @Gassage.

This is some info on the Otto Block Torsion Adapter [not a very informative photo]

Other companies make Torsion Adapters, this photo gives a better idea of what a Torsion Adapter looks like.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    I'd never really given much thought to the strain that losing a limb would give to the remaining limb. Wow.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• vizviz Frets: 10775
    Yes, happy N(P)LD!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.