Sausage fingers

What's Hot
I am an absolute beginner at the guitar and I am really struggling to get the chord shapes sounding right without deadening the adjacent strings with my sausage fingers. Can anyone help?
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

practise.

And use the tip of your finger.

and practise some more.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Mike.
  • Like mike_l said; practice, practice, then practice some more.
    Your fingers will get used to it, the calluses will form, which gives a nice strong pad to hold the string down with.
    Don't over do it though, it will come with time.

Also ensure your nails are short on your fretting hand, and try to get your fingers perpendicular to the board, that will give them the best chance of keeping clear of the other strings.
    Thumb position behind the neck will help support this with minimal pressure too.
    Take your time and reposition your fingers until you get a nice clean tone, then go and work on another chord shape, then come back and try this one again.  It takes time, but is very satisfying when you get there.

Good luck.

Oh, and did I mention practice ?   :)

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Okay, we've had the serious responses.  Now please, let this be a covert technique by Mr Phillips to generate interest in his "products".  That would just be perfect.

If not, then welcome.

Also, if a troll: lol :)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15515
    edited November 2014

if you haven't yet, check out Justin sandercoe's website:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

he has a beginners course and covers how to place the fingers for clean chord playing. It's free and is truly excellent, the best guitar course I've seen, paid for or free. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• You can get a wide neck guitar with more space between the bass strings.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    You can get a wide neck guitar with more space between the bass strings.  

Wisdom (cos I was just about to say it :D)

Go to a guitar shop and try a few out, explain to the staff what you need. Feel free to come back for opinions before shelling out if you don't feel confident with the advice the shop gives you

All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just check out this video with Johnny Hiland playing his PRS.

I think anyone would agree that his fingers aren't the slimmest.

Whether he is playing a PRS or a Tele, just normal sized guitars, and a ton of practice and talent.

Man can he play !

Duration 8:21

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I am an absolute beginner at the guitar and I am really struggling to get the chord shapes sounding right without deadening the adjacent strings with my sausage fingers. Can anyone help?

Find a book/cd pack so you can see where your finger are supposed to go (IE tab/sheet music) and hear what things are supposed to sound like.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Many thanks for all the replies. I will take it all on board and let you know how I get on.