• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Depressing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Glad I have a day job sounds like those boys do ok though
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    edited November 2014
    Sounds like they're not doing too bad in the current climate to be honest. They could probably have cut corners and made a marginal profit (did they need to pay each touring musician on average over $1100 per week? And could they have slept in the van the odd night here and there?) but they went all in and as a result have probably secured more long term fans and better reviews/ buzz.

And they're paying themselves $2500/ month. If anything this shows that you can still operate an act as a going concern in 2014, which is much better news than most terrible stories of the death of the arts/entertainment industry.

My band's never turned a profit but we're making our second album (am about to start mixing it) using money donated through a pledge campaign we set up on our own website. You've just got to adapt to whatever terrible paradigm the industry is lurching through as best you can.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    edited November 2014
    Definitely doesn't seem to be a drastic state of affairs. They went on their first tour with only an 8% loss, and still managed to cover everything and eat. For people who have no experience doing it, I'd say that was a pretty good result.
    <space for hire>
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Interesting article. Would you expect a tour to make a profit as well as paying everyone salaries? For most people if they were paid to make music they would be happy without making a profit on top.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Look at it another way - if this was a band, and each member was taking a $2500 salary instead of paying hired guns to be the band, they'd have made a profit, somewhere along the lines of $20k.
    <space for hire>