PC help please. Moved from Windows XP - Windows 7 now unable to connect to the Internet ????

What's Hot
Can anyone advise why after moving from Windows XP to Windows 7 I'm unable to connect to the Internet ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Did you do an upgrade or a re-install?

What error messages are you getting (if any).

Does "network connections" show you are connected?

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

I have an intermittant problem with Win7 when restoring an image from backup - it refuses to connect to the internet wired, but will connect wirelessly strangely enough

The only reliable way to fix it is to simply switch off the PC and the router at the mains, wait 10 mins and boot it all up again - believe me I've tried everything else

Worth a shot before you start messing with your connection settings

All practice and no theory
  • Sounds like a driver problem to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2014
    @dafuzz is right regarding the issue.  I can't tell you about that particular fix though as I did try that but still no luck.  I had this exact problem this weekend after the PC crashed completely, kept coming back as 'DNS' issue. eventually solved it with new open router codes.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Did you do an upgrade or a re-install?

What error messages are you getting (if any).

Does "network connections" show you are connected?

There is a red cross on the bottom right of my task bar. When I click on this it says something along the lines of "No internet connection". Weirdly I have a similar warning when using XP but am able to get online fine. When I click on the red cross in XP  it says - "Local area connection 2. A network cable is unplugged"
    I suspect it is indeed a driver issue but I can't work out how to solve it. The issue is very frustrating as XP is becoming more and more unstable.

I installed W7 on to a new hard drive. Everything seems to be working ok apart from the fact that I am unable to connect to the internet. I have had to disconnect the new hard drive and use my old one with XP. 

• Do you have the CD that came with your motherboard, usually there is a specific ethernet driver for the network card

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10541

Right click on Computer - choose Properties - then Device Manager. Look down the list till you see Network, are any devices yellow flagged under Network ? 
    If so you need a Win 7 driver for your onboard nic in which case you need to identify the motherboard and get the driver from that manufactures website if you can't find any driver CD's that came with the machine

To help  identify what nic you have boot up in your XP mode and check device manager there as that driver is installed and working so your be able to see the make and model
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Ordered wireless dongle to see if that sorts it out.