Good mp3 players?

What's Hot
GF's iPod has died so looking for a replacement. She's adamant she doesn't want another iPod as iTunes pisses her right off (clever girl ;) ).

So what's a viable alternative? A quick Google seems to show most other mp3 players have a lot less storage at the same price point.

Budget would be iPod type money.
littlegreenman < My tunes here...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    What kind of iPod type money? Shuffle? Or iTouch £40-240? :p

Sansa clip+ with a 32gb SD card is very popular and cheap!
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    How much memory is she likley to need?
    Will she need to play FLAC files?
    'Awibble'
  • FLAC, no. Mainly mp3's (128-320) at home and in the car.

I looked at the Sansa clips, sound quality any good?
  • FazerFazer Frets: 468
    yep, sansa clip, sound quality is great, battery lasts for ages and its internal memory of 4/8gbs (cant remember which) plus it will take a 32gb card (which will take some filling)
    Sansa is top quality, Cowon are supposed to be reasonable too if she wants touch screen.
    'Awibble'
  • Looks good there chaps, I'll wait and see what kind of deal I can get on Amazon in the Black Friday offers. Although a Clip+ and 32Gb card would be less than £50 anyway, so no biggy, I'm just a skinflint! ;)
  • I have a Sansa Clip+ too with a 64GB micro ed card which works fine.

Quick tip if you do get one when setting it up choose rest of the world as your region, the max volume if you choose UK is shockingly low, choosing rest of the world you don't get such restriction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @strumjoughlamps, good to know :)
    I have a Sansa Clip+ too with a 64GB micro ed card which works fine.
    its been a while since i loaded mine up with the 32gb, does the 64gb format automatically in the player (prior to transferring files obviously) or you format it externally first?

littlegreenman, the other thing with the sansa is it acts just like an external drive - you plug into usb and simply copy all your mp3s and folders across into the music folder.
    and there are separate folders for audiobooks (its treats them slightly differently)
    i use mp3tag to sort out all the tags and titles etc
  • I didn't do either, card full of tunes (about 50gb) taken out of android phone and put straight into Sansa; refreshing media took about 5 mins and voila, job done.
  • +1 more for Sansa Clip+ / Clip Zip and a big capacity Micro SD card. I wore my Clip+ out and currently have an 8GB Clip Zip (very similar, but with a larger colour screen) with a 32GB card.

While you're at it, have a look at the Rockbox firmware (www.rockbox.org) which is an open source sort of operating system for MP3 players. It's relatively simple to install, improves sound quality and functionality at the expense of a voided warranty. FWIW the Sansa firmware works just fine and Rockboxing is a little geeky (so geeky that you get to call installing it on your player "Rockboxing" it), but I think it's better than Sansa's UI.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

is the text size larger / more legible on the clip zip? and how does the battery life compare?
  • I recently bought a Hipstreet Prism mp3 player that I'm really impressed with for the price.  4gb, micro SD memory card expansion slot, easy to use.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Fazer said:
    is the text size larger / more legible on the clip zip? and how does the battery life compare?

To be honest, I think I put Rockbox on the Clip Zip before I'd even had a proper look at the Sansa UI. I think it's a little better. One of the cool things about Rockbox is the ability to use different "themes" for the UI that alter things like text font and size, so you can set it up for very large text if you want to.

Battery life is about even on both I reckon- around 8 hours. Again, based on using Rockbox, which I believe is meant to be a little more efficient than stock.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Such a pity apple discontinued the iPod class. Or they should at least offer the nano with 128gb. I don't need the itouch I have a smart phone for that
    so is there no going back once you've switched to rockbox?
    i'm going to look through the different schemes and i'll think i'll give it a go if i can find a nice one with clearer text and track length
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    edited November 2014
    Pono?

Ignoring all the arguments about "high-resolution audio" it's still a good quality, simple player which will support mp3 and can be expanded up to 192GB if you use the largest available SD card.

Which makes it a serious contender to replace the iPod Classic if you have a 30,000-song mp3 library...

I know that's exactly the opposite of what it was intended for! And there's no reason it can't actually be used for both if you want.

I would actually be seriously interested in one if my Classic dies.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein