Ditching Virgin TV and Tivo - what to do next?

What's Hot

Having just had another email from Virgin media announcing another price increase I've decided that enough's enough and I'm going to sack off their tv package. I'm hoping I can keep their broadband but may have to look into alternatives for that but the main thing I'm not sure on is TV stuff.

What's the best option for getting a decent selection of channels and recording capability? Is it freeview HD and a PVR or is there a better option? I'm a bit out of touch with the developments in stuff like this.

The main channels that seem to be a stumbling block are the Discovery ones. Eurosport I can get by subscribing to their player and most other stuff seems to be covered on freeview. Any ideas on how I could Discovery?

Cheers for any help

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    YouView + NowTV
    My V key is broken
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Ring cancellations and tell them what you're thinking. They'll usually make you a good offer
    All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    dafuzz said:
    Ring cancellations and tell them what you're thinking. They'll usually make you a good offer
    This!
  • dafuzz said:

. +1 although I now have Freeview HD and Now TV so my Virgin TiVo package is pretty much redundant. Very little that I can't get on an iPlayer so recording isn't a big issue. Not sure about Discovery and Eurosport though, don't think I have them at all now and they were in the bits I'd skip when I had the bigger Virgin package TBH. Now TV is pretty good as long as you have wi fi. There are problems with it and the Virgin superhub though but if you have problems there are solutions online.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1927
    Hmm, that's interesting about ringing their cancellations line.  Might give that a go and see how i get on.  Relatively basic tv and the BB would be fine I reckon
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 376
    I'd bin them off too, only my pair of mini-me's love them some Nick Jr/Disney Jr etc.  Increasingly not worth it though, TV wise it's only really the kids channels, Simpsons, the endless friends re-runs on Comedy Central and Netflix that get watched by anyone.  Given that Netflix is on my Xbox 360 anyway and the other stuff can largely be solved with box-sets for less than a months subscription cost I'm inclined to get rid as soon as we're out of contract.
  • JAYJO said:
    dafuzz said:
    This!
    But dont do it at the weekend - do it Tuesday or Weds during the day...when they are less likley to have any targets to meet. mention SKY and how good you thik they are....good luck.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462

Also, if you ring the cancellation line they may let you go through with it.  Not a bad thing because it seems to be what you want anyway.   but usually you will get a call back a day or two before your cancellation date  with a counter offer - its often worth holding your nerve

• the_jaffa;427179" said:
    Hmm, that's interesting about ringing their cancellations line.  Might give that a go and see how i get on.  Relatively basic tv and the BB would be fine I reckon
    I've had virgin cable for about 15 years I think. I don't think I've paid full price since about year two. One time I cancelled it on 30 days notice and on day 29 they called me and gave me free cable tv for 6 months. The 'upgrade'( TiVo being slightly shit) to TiVo was free on a threat to cancel, although they get another contract out of me ( yes, beware, any change in contract ties you back in).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.