Fulltone 69

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
Hi all, has anyone got any suggestions of alternatives to this pedal? I am thinking of buying one of these but wondered what other shouts people have. I'm after one of these as they are not as "out there" as some fuzz's, dare I say it's more subtle.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2372
    I haven't tried it but looking at the fulltone site it appears to be a glorified germanium fuzz face. So I'm guessing any pedals which you know to also be germanium fuzz faces (or glorified/modded Ge Fuzz Faces) would be worth a look. Most boutiquers make a germanium fuzz face...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    I had one. It was OK. It sounded like a germanium Fuzz Face except with a couple more tweaks, and sounded a bit boring and characterless like all the Fulltones I've owned.

Then the switch broke, and the wires to it were cut so short and then resin-ed over on the switch that the only options were to replace the whole wiring loom back to the board, or carefully dismantle the switch and a new one, and make one functioning switch - this is *not* easy, but it was marginally the lesser of the two evils.

Having experienced switch failures on a couple of other Fulltones as well, this one was the last straw and I will never buy another one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    @ICBM wow, that's shocking luck. I had an OCD for years and it never missed a beat.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    @ Dave_Mc I believe it's based on the fuzz face. Has anyone got any suggestions of pedals like this? Ive never owned a fuzz face! My fuzz needs have always been taken care of by big muffs
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2372
    Yeah I haven't tried very many of the different varieties either.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9616
    edited November 2014
    @shaunm

I'm not really a fuzz fan at all mate. When I do encounter them, I like a fuzz to be powerful, yet subtle and they must clean up with volume. So, with some, you can go from clean boost to fuzz.

My personal faves, in order, are;

1. Paul Trombetta Mini Bone/Rotobone - the best fuzz, nay OD pedal there is...

2. VL Effects Jimi - introduced to me by @Hymnal (who, along with @Gassage may pipe in here because their knowledge is considerable). Big money, and very similar to the PTD above.

3. Analogman Sunface - cleans up luvvely

The Pete Cornish P1 is legendary too. Once again, big bucks and gassage owns one, and I believe @thisisguitar is about to get one. Just my two penneth...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    I'd add in Skreddy LM and Wamp Velvet.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• swlabrswlabr Frets: 29
    Not exactly fuzzfaceish but lovely in its own way, Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Drive.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, I have a Cornish P1 on order :-)
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Yeah, I have a Cornish P1 on order :-)
    Interesting. May I ask who your' mortgage provider is ?

:-\"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Maybe try one of the less chaotic muff types? Maybe the Double Muff?
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I like the 69 fuzz responds nicely to the volume knob being tweaked. Set it up at stupid levels and leave it on...

then go from slight boost to whatever using the volume knob on the guitar.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    Drew_fx said:
    Maybe try one of the less chaotic muff types? Maybe the Double Muff?
    I loved the sound of that on its own, but it *hates* buffers in front - I think worse than any other pedal I've come across, even Fuzz Face types - horrible, shrill and scratchy with one.

I wasn't even convinced it liked one afterwards, but that might have been my imagination or just a bad combination of tones...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2014
    ICBM said:
    Having experienced switch failures on a couple of other Fulltones as well, this one was the last straw and I will never buy another one.

Have you considered ditching your platform boots?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11942
    Wanpler velvet ? Scarab deluxe?
    Have you considered ditching your platform boots?
    lol

But no… the reason the switches break is because they're crap, and the reason they're hard to change is because Fuller thought it was a good idea to deliberately make it as difficult as possible. Even if the first is forgivable, the second isn't.

• For balance, I have 8 fulltone pedals across my 2 boards (including a 69 fuzz) and I've never had a problem with any of them - in fact they are easily my favourite make of pedal. If you're looking for a beefier fuzz, the Soulbender is much more 'out there' than the 69.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Cornell first fuzz ir TSVG Angry Jeff?
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    The 69 is considered the pick of the full tone fuzz face types. They clean up well. I prefer it over the 70. There are a lot of good fuzz face types out there though, analogman, VL, monsterpiece, actual arbiter units, Pigdog, Arcane Analog the list goes on. One thing worth considering is whether you want it for humbuckers or singles as often they are voiced and biased in such as way that they naturally sound with one or the other. The fuzz face type fuzz is a beautiful unit as it bridges the gap between overdrive and fuzz just using the volume control. Big muffs, on the whole won't react like this. From what you're saying it sounds like you want a fuzz face :)