Stacking overdrives...

What's Hot
ElxElx Frets: 412
...do you do it, and how? I've just discovered that Mesa Flux and OCD work really well together...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17678
    tFB Trader
    Liquid sunshine with anything = win
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Massive gain + massive gain = all mistakes hidden

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have wondered this myself as I would like an 'OD' and 'More OD' option. Which way round should they go gain wise? I have an OCD and would like something to kick it a bit more. Sorry for the jumping in.
  • I'm currently tinkering around with an EHX Soul Food and EHX Tortion, but haven't gotten anything I truly like yet. Still messing around with pedal order and settings though, so it's possible something may come out of it.
  • mike_l;429484" said:
    Massive gain + massive gain = all mistakes hidden
    This is my usual approach.

I love my mates Marshall mg15, it has so much gain on it that touching a string to a fret sounds a clear note. Anyone can shred chromatic at a billion notes per second*.

*accurate figure
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Angry Troll > Stampede DT = searing lead and solo tones!
    Angry Troll > Valve Sporker = boosted natural overdrive that captures the best bits of may amp and guitar combination.
    Angry Troll > Rainger FX DrFF3 = Holy F*#! apocalyptic, glitchy fuzz insanity
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    i normally stack a ts or sd1-style od with a more transparent od

if i was using a lower gain amp i'd also stack that with a distortion pedal
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    I generally stack more-midange into less-midrange and more-compressed into less-compressed, because that seems to produce more useful combinations than going by gain. If you put a bassy or scooped pedal through a midrangy, compressed pedal you get a squashy, boomy mush which *can* sometimes be great, but is not usually very controllable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    MAD Sweet Honey into a Diamond Cornerstone was keeping me entertained this afternoon
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited November 2014
    Koko Boost into Shiba Drive, Riot, Velvet Fuzz or MI Blues Boy Deluxe sounds killer, (with both the boost and mid-boost options).

Setting the amp up with crunch akin to an OD pedal and then hitting it with a Koko also gives great tones.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    Keeley TS808 feeding an OCD V.4 - the mid-rangey, lower gain pedal into the higher gain, slightly scooped pedal works well.
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    "I have wondered this myself as I would like an 'OD' and 'More OD' option. Which way round should they go gain wise? I have an OCD and would like something to kick it a bit more. Sorry for the jumping in."

Fulldrive in compcut mode into OCD is a very nice combination

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    edited November 2014
    The popular consensus seems to be some sort of TS derivative feeding the OCD.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I did have a Screamin' Blues going into the OCD but the two were so mimilar in tone it just seemed to make it fizzy rather than dirty, if that makes sense.  I'll try to get hold of a TS and see what that is like.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Dano TOD as a boost into modded SD-1 into modded BD-2. Pretty much covered everything on the set list.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I run my modded SD-1 into the red channel of my Goosoniqueworx 7thvn, just as a boost for solo's
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4285
    Timmy + anything else can usually be made to work well in my experience. Not a big lover of the Timmy's gain tone on it's own. It's a great boost (up to a point). But the EQ controls are very good, so some fiddling usually ends with decent results when stacked with other drives.