Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Flying V project...

What's Hot

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1763
    That looks really nice, mate. Well done!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Looking good man
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Looks awesome - I'd lave the pickup rings off if I were you
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Leave it as it is my friend, you did a great job. Sort out the wiring issue and you have a guitar for life. Enjoy...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Oof, bit sexy.
    I'd say Deffo leave the rings off man
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    For choice I'd have been tempted to go either single pickup for a stripped back V'I'or go all out for a triple pickup V, errr 'V' I suppose if you're hijacking the Firebird model numbers ! ;-)
  • That's one nice mod on an oh so rockin' flying V. Nice job.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited March 2015
    Guess what, it's finished now! By which I mean it's got three fully functioning pots (well, they're all good quality but I suspect they're not wired up right because something's a bit wrong - I can use the guitar though), and THE PICKUP RINGS ARE ON!

Final piece of the visual jigsaw is in place, not least since I changed the toggle switch and the knobs too. I think it looks fucking fantastic.

I noticed recently that it's even starting to get relic'd - all natural, no belt sanders. It's just a very thin finish and I've played it a lot in the last five years. You can see the finish going on the back and on the neck.

Still so happy. Firebird pickups are killer and you need them in your guitars. ALL of them. Best I can describe the sound is that it's kind of like a supercharged Tele. Fat but wiry and twangy as well. And it feels SO good. It's a very special guitar, this.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    That looks really good @bucket :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    This is brilliant. I still prefer without the rings, but it's looking really good either way. I need something with fb pickups...Gah!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 12001
    tFB Trader
    Congratulations Conner, I think you have come up with about the most innovative and best looking use for a pair of my Firebird Winterizers so far!
    I can confirm .... after having it round the workshop ... that that guitar is a stunning player ... and a brilliant looker. Actually the pickup surrounds really work well (I was wrong).
    Now my only regret is not getting a pic of you playing my big, semi acoustic WITH THE BIGSBY at mine ;-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    If the pickups are still out of phase you need to swap the hot and ground wires on one of them (not the shield wire, that remains grounded - just the two coloured insulated ones).

Or learn to love the Peter Green/Gary Moore/Kirk Hammett sound… since you have other guitars which do the normal two-humbucker thing.

It looks fantastic too, such an upgrade over the original. Trademark it quick before someone at Gibson spots it and copies you ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 12001
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    If the pickups are still out of phase you need to swap the hot and ground wires on one of them (not the shield wire, that remains grounded - just the two coloured insulated ones).

Or learn to love the Peter Green/Gary Moore/Kirk Hammett sound… since you have other guitars which do the normal two-humbucker thing.

It looks fantastic too, such an upgrade over the original. Trademark it quick before someone at Gibson spots it and copies you ;).
    Conner dropped it round to me and I sorted the phase issue for him, and replaced a duff pot ... gave me a chance to have a play ... and Gibson could do far worse than copy the idea: the lighter, resonant V body goes so well with the tonality of Firebird pickups. 
    Oh, would anyone be interested in full humbucker sized Firebird pickups ... to get all of the sound without the fitting issues? Cos I know a man who could do that ;-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Looks cool - good job
    edited March 2015
    ICBM said:

It's not out of phase, it all sounds fine - better than fine. Incredible.

The pots are playing up though - the new tone works (not that I ever use it) but the neck volume is playing up - it does have some effect but not much. When it's rolled all the way off it sounds like it's on about 8! It's also a bit weird that these two new pots are low-friction Bourns ones and the bridge volume is a normal CTS - might get two new CTS ones and swap those in, and put the Bourns ones in my Jackson or something. Good pots but the wiring needs looking at, and it's weird having two different feels :D

The strings are top-wrapped as well, which I'd never tried before. Not a huge difference but it seems a little slinkier than before...

And @TheGuitarWeasel I'm glad you like the guitar as well! Full-size Firebird pickups would be an ace idea. And I think it's for the best that there's no photo evidence of me using one of the Dread Contraptions...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7344
    edited March 2015 tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    the neck volume is playing up - it does have some effect but not much. When it's rolled all the way off it sounds like it's on about 8! 
    You must have wired it wrong. If it's connected as it should be, turning the pot to zero will shunt the signal to earth so it will be silent.

Why not put the low friction pots on the volumes and the CTS on the tone? 
    that's looking great man, making me really want to get my hands on a white plate for my v now though
    Bucket said:
    the neck volume is playing up - it does have some effect but not much. When it's rolled all the way off it sounds like it's on about 8! 
    You must have wired it wrong. If it's connected as it should be, turning the pot to zero will shunt the signal to earth so it will be silent.
    I don't doubt it, I know there should be nothing wrong with the pots!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Bucket said:
    Chances are the ground terminal has separated from the trackboard slightly and isn't making contact - this sometimes happens when you bend the tab back to solder it to the casing - really you should bend just the top part of it over at a right angle using a pair of pliers, not simply push the whole thing back.

You can fix it by squeezing the rivet hard onto the trackboard with a pair of narrow-nose pliers. I see this problem quite a lot, usually with modern CTS pots which aren't made as well as they used to be… although if this one is a Bourns they may be prone to it as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein