Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Stupid "friend"

What's Hot
I have a rather stupid "friend", let's call him Bob. In a total braindead moment "bob" accidently plugged a foot switch into the speaker out socket on his amp while it was on. To be fair to Bob it was pretty dark and the two sockets were next to each other.

Anyway "Bob"'s amp is now not working. The lights come on but no sound (rather like Bob actually). What shall I tell "Bob" he should get checked in his amp to see what is borked . Output transformer, capacitors, valves etc.

I'm sure "Bob" would appreciate any advise.
12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Sponge Bob...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    If Bob is lucky, it might have just blown the HT fuse, and probably a valve which is what usually causes the HT fuse to blow - although sometimes an arc will take out the fuse without permanently harming the valve.

If Bob is unlucky and the makers of his amp were thoughtless and didn't fit it with an HT fuse, it could possibly have blown the OT.

If Bob is really lucky and the speaker out socket disconnects the internal speaker, it's possible that the jack switch is not closing properly - probably having not been used much, it could be slightly corroded. I would suggest that you tell Bob to try the amp with an extension cab first, and see whether it works through that.

What type of amp does Bob have?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Bob is most likely fucked.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I'm sure "Bob" would appreciate any advise.
    Get him to buy two sticky labels. On one, write ARSE, on the other, ELBOW. Apply as applicable. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Blundering_Bob :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited November 2014
    I had a friend called Bob once who spent his band's entire line check completely perplexed as to why no sound was coming out of his amp. Bob checked everything 3 times except the jack that was wrapped around his strap and NOT in his guitar.

Same tour that Bob nearly lamped a guitarist in one of the other bands that was playing with as Bob thought they'd nicked his pedal. The same pedal that was in Bob's case where it always was.

Bob shortly after stopped altering his mind so much at his gigs. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bob also got really good at apologising.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bob probably feels a bit of a 'C U next Tuesday'.
    Excellent use of the word "probably".
  • BodBod Frets: 1322
    Poor Fred.  I mean Bob,
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is this Phasing Bob?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^^winner right here^^^
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3079
    edited November 2014
    thermionic;429977" said:
    Is this Phasing Bob?
    Oh, you've met him. Nice chap but thick as pig shit. Thanks for the heads up @ICBM as always. I'll pass on the advice to "Bob" :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    More importantly, what did the footswitch sound like?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I'm sure "Bob" would appreciate any advise.
    Get him to buy two sticky labels. On one, write ARSE, on the other, ELBOW. Apply as applicable. 
    But how will Bob know which is which in order to apply the labels..?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26753
    edited November 2014
    Oh wow, I know a Bob too. He recently acquired a very expensive three-channel amp, and twice has plugged it into the "not connected" socket of his cab (when running in mono). Apparently last time he did it, it took him a while to realise and when playing a chord he could actually hear the sound coming from the amp's output transformer...

Silly, silly Bob.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Bob might want to do what I've done to avoid these situations in future - put a strip of white tape along the back edge of the top panel of your amp, bust out a Sharpie and mark it up to show where your connections are. Saves me loads of dicking about when my amp is right back against the wall and i'm trying to find footswitch sockets, power scaling switches and all the other fun stuff you can't see in the dark corners of a venue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 284
    My friend Bob recently suffered a whole band practice with what he thought was his amp playing up *again* by going all thin and toppy. Turned out that Bob had used his wah in the first song and hadn't pressed down hard enough on the switch when he'd finished.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72646
    edited November 2014
    Oh wow, I know a Bob too. He recently acquired a very expensive three-channel amp, and twice has plugged it into the "not connected" socket of his cab (when running in mono). Apparently last time he did it, it took him a while to realise and when playing a chord he could actually hear the sound coming from the amp's output transformer...

Silly, silly Bob.
    We shouldn't laugh. I'm supposed to know what I'm doing and I've done something like that :).

'64 Bassman head, Marshall 4x12". Playing a gig, soundcheck is fine, go off, come back on for the gig and I start the first song… silence. Guitar up full… check. Amp not on standby… check. Amp turned up… check. Still nothing. All the time strumming the guitar to see if I can hear anything. Lean against the front of the amp to look over the back to see if the valves are lit up… they are. And what's more, as I'm strumming the guitar they're flashing blue. Then I move slightly and down at the bottom of the cab I can see - I don't know how, it was dark - that the speaker plug is out halfway! Turns out the drummer has caught the speaker cable and pulled it slightly while he was getting behind the kit. I get him to reach over and push it back in… forgetting that I am now leaning against the front of a 4x12" with the guitar up full and a 50W amp on 7 - instant shrieking, screaming mayhem :D.

The amp was fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Why do amp manufacturers persist in using the "standard" 1/4" socket for everything? Even using a Speakon socket for the speaker(s) would eliminate this kind of problem.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom