SIMPLE MAN NEEDS SIMPLE EFX HELP

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16165
Firstly, I have got no idea how to use the tv remote other than to turn it on or off and raise the volume
I get very quickly and easily bored with computers,phones etc
Safe to say I'm totally non-tech and dont particularly want to be any better -thats what you're dealing with.

I play to reasonable standard including gigging cover /function band - I am a guitar to amp kinda guy -ride the volume on guitar and run a rig comprising 2 amps via an ABY box........very simple ;
 AMP 1 -FENDER CLEANS.........AMP 2 - BRITISH DIRT
Each set as I need for that gig /song ,either switching between the two or sometimes blending both together
I like simple but sometimes put a boost /drive in front of either amp and set up to give myself a 3 tone option ;
Clean,mild crunch,juicy lead
 The day has come when I need some modulation effects in order to make certain songs sound convincing
I do not really need delay but a bit of slapback would be good for country / rockabilly and 50s Americana
Ideally need flange,chorusand phaser - nothing clever ,dont need 4 types of each or anything too sophisticated
nothing truly time based and cant be doing with loops etc -straight into front of amp only
MUST BE VERY SIMPLE AND NEAT IE ALL ON ONE UNIT
I tried a roland gt 100 - absolutely not for me -it was all I could be arsed to do to get it out the box and far too clever
Am thinking of perhaps an 80s Ibanez type thing or Line 6 mm4
i just want one unit to put between ABY box and me -ideally with 3 or 4 switches for simple use
ANY ADVICE,SUGGESTIONS,EXPERIENCES ..OR OFFERS TO SELL WHAT WORKS FOR ME
DONT WANT CLEVER OR SOPHISTICATED OR SONIC PERFECTION
THANKS
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    I'd suggest either Line 6 or Zoom G3. Both simple all in one units that sound great & cheap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17673
    tFB Trader
    You might want to look at the Zoom G3. 

The Line6 MM4 is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but would also do the job.

The Source Audio Orbital Modulator would also do the job, but only has 2 presets.

If you are really technophobic then I'd seriously consider buying an MXR Phase 90, Micro Chorus and Micro Flanger. 

If you want really simple there are a few pedal builders on this site who could probably build a flanger, chorus and phaser into a single box with three stomp switches on it.

• Budget ? Carl Martin Quatro?Not cheap end and probably do more than you want but knobs rather than interface.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    If those are your exact requirements I would get individual pedals and have a neat board built. You won't get anything else with the simplicity and foolproof operation of that.

The Line6 MM4 is probably the closest in terms of not having any other stuff you don't need, and is pretty intuitive even though it needs programming, but it doesn't do delay. The G3 is probably more complicated than you want even though it's simple by multi-FX standards.

The old Ibanez units have the wrong combinations of effects, there isn't one with all three of phaser, flanger and chorus as far as I remember, and all either have a Tube Screamer, a compressor or both, and/or no delay.

The original Boss ME-5 might work once set for how you want but is a pig to tweak on the fly - push-button menu navigation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17673
    tFB Trader
    The more I think about this the more I think a Pedaltrain Mini with 3 MXR, Boss, Mooer, or Hardwire pedals would be the easiest option. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

As ICBM said, individuals

Phase - MXR Phase 90, single rotary control, simple use, and my favourite phase

Chorus (if wanted) MXR Micro Chorus as above

Flange - MXR Micro flanger, 2 rotary controls, as above.

I'm not saying that other modulation pedals aren't good (they are) but those mentioned are simple to use, and sound really good, where ever they're set. I rarely take any of them above half-way on the controls, so subtle use is good.

Have them on a small board with a power supply and Bob's you mother's brother.

For a delay/slapback I'd use a simple analogue-voiced delay, I use a Visual Sound Axle Grease, which will do exactly what you need, IE a simple delay which does the simple things nicely, without all the bells and whistles (no tap-tempo, no massively long delays). A lot of people who want this use the MXR Carbon copy, which I've never tried, but hear lots of good things about.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Budget ? Carl Martin Quatro?Not cheap end and probably do more than you want but knobs rather than interface.

just re read the OP, so the Quatro was a rubbish suggestion :( Probably nothing out there that does exactly what you want and is simple ( plenty of things that do them all plus a bunch of other stuff). The Zoom MS70 CDR would cover all you want I think but it's not the easiest live. You could pick up a used Line 6 M9, comes with power supply and pretty easy to set up ( or get a friend to set up) if you use it as basically half a dozen pedals and don't go into anything deeper. If I could work it ( and I used one just as I've described as a bunch of favoured pedals and ignored all the fancy bits) I'm sure almost anyone can.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Empress Nebulus. Great sounding unit that should cover your needs.

Cheers Rich
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    NUX mod core. I've had one on my board for around a year for occasional modulation. It has phaser, flanger, trem, chorus, rotary, vibrato. It has 4 knobs simple to use & if I remember correctly cost me under £30 direct from Donner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16165
    thanks for great response and all the ideas
    going to look into all of them
    many thanks -will report back
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I'd add a vote for the "handful of MXR pedals on a small board" option. Couldn't be simpler, will give you everything you've said you need and no superfluous extras that you don't. Every option that involves multiple effects in one unit is going to involve some degree of programming, even if it's just a one off effort to set it up how you want. The single pedals approach is plug and play, can be built up over time as funds allow, and means if you find you really didn't need a particular pedal you can offload it easily.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    I agree about single pedals.

Are there any particular chorus, phaser and flanger tones you want? I mean from specific songs. For example, the micro flanger I had sounded very good and was pretty easy to dial in, but I didn't think it did the Van Halen Unchained thing as well as I wanted.

When the simpler pedals do the tone you want, they're awesome. Really handy and no faffing about trying to find the killer setting. The problem is if they don't you don't have much to tweak and odds are it's just not the right pedal. :))
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16165
    more good advice ...thanks
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    JD50 said:
    NUX mod core. I've had one on my board for around a year for occasional modulation. It has phaser, flanger, trem, chorus, rotary, vibrato. It has 4 knobs simple to use & if I remember correctly cost me under £30 direct from Donner.
    I'm becoming a real fan of NUX stuff. I've got the Timecore and CH2 vintage chorus (picked it up second hand off ebay for a fiver), and the amp sim is on the way (Under £15 delivered from Hong Kong). Great pedals for the money, and that mod core is on my radar for sure. Cheap and Chinese, but not cheap Chinese rubbish imo.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    JD50 said:
    Yup, I have one too. Love the rotary with OD in front of it - really grindy!

• TC Nova System?