Humbucker Pole Pieces /Slugs to raise or not to raise?

That is the question....

I have always lowered my 'buckers and adjusted my Pole-pieces skywards.

Good or Bad?

Or not an issue / worth talking about?

Oh the questions....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    Doing this tends to make them sound clearer. Lowering the pole screws and raising the pick-up makes them sound 'rounder'.

In the bridge position on both my humbucking guitars, I drop the screws below the surface of the cover on the treble side and raise the whole pick-up closer to the strings.

Your tonal preferences may differ but I don't like HBs to be too bright.
  • I think I've pushed them up when the guitars I have them in were darker sounding to begin with.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    Seth Lover said that the screws were not of any use but the sales people at Gibson insisted they were included as a feature. I and many others thing that PU down pole screws up while subtle, does increase the clarity and brightness (although PUs down alone does some/most of that).
    Like all these things, try it and see if it suits you. You can set them back if you are unhappy.

• Count the number of turns you're making (or write them down if you want).  That way you'll easily get back to the start.

I've usually got my pole pieces fairly flat or just slightly poking above.  I tend to have my pickups a bit lower than most other guitarists I know, but not ridiculously low to the point the guitar has no power any more.