OD suggestions please

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4663
I'm bored with my current ODs.
Currently I've got a Tube screamer, a Marshall govn'ner, a TC Nova drive, Mesa  V-Twin and a Zendrive clone.

I use the V-Twin  as an alternative pre-amp to the Eganator pre-amp, all switchable via a G-System.

The Nova drive is as noisy as hell, the Tube screamer and the Marshall need retiring as they are battered to hell and back.
Although it was fun building the Zendrive, I can't be bothered with the faff in getting it working perfectly and want something reliable,
although I do like the sound (tis a bit hissy mind).

I've already got my mind set on a Spark Boost, so looking to replace the TS, the Marshal and the Zendrive. So what am I looking for

TS Replacement. ---> Like the TS but more (bit more gain and a bit more bass)
Marshal Replacement --> Want something a bit more late 60s rather than JCM 800/900 sounding, Think Hendrix stack at full blast about to blow up.

Zendrive Clone--> A budget alternative and readily available.

I'm going to stick the Boost in front of the ODs, so the pedals should go from nice crunch to creamy distortion with the boost engaged.
All the Pedals should work well in a buffered loop.

Also any suggestions on a Germainium style fuzz that works well in a loop?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Have you considered the Hardwire CM-2 Tube overdrive? If not you should, way better than most....

And about as close as I've found to a Mk1 Guvnor, without being a Mk1 Guvnor.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited December 2014
    I'm having a lot of fun with the CM-2 also, it gets pretty marshall-ey on the modified mode as well.
  • ***Liquid Sunshine***

Don't refuse MXR's either, I have a couple, and they're awesomes for a mid-gain dirt.

I have a Distortion3 and a custom Badass'78, both are excellent for low-mid gain stuff, and although both are distortions, neither has massively high-gain.

The Distortion+ is fantastic as a boost, which tightens the bottom end and add a sparkle to the top end.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    You are looking for precisely the Wampler Euphoria. nothing else

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    You are looking for precisely the Wampler Euphoria. nothing else
    Not looking for a single pedal to comer all basis but multiple pedals each one will be switched in and out depending on patch on the G.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    edited December 2014
    Hardwire OD springs to mind, as everyone has said.

Thomann does the VS Route 808 for ~£50 as well. That's also worth considering.

Basically (and to my ears) the route 808 is more or less a tubescreamer with a bass boost and a bit more level boost on tap.

The CM2 can be dialled in to sound more or less like a TS (but not exactly 100% nailing it) but does a lot more.

Just depends on what you want- if you still want to get the bang-on tubescreamer thing, I'd go with the visual sound. If you want a lot more versatility I'd go with the Hardwire.

There might be other options (especially dearer ones :)) ) which I haven't tried which might also do what you want, of course.

EDIT: Bad monkey would work as well on the cheap.

I also haven't tried them in a loop. I always run ODs in front of the amp.
  • The Loops on the G-System or before the Pre-amp but are buffered.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    Another vote for the CM-2 Hardwire. :)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    If you're looking for somewhere to move the battered tubescreamer on to then let me know (I've always wanted one) ;-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonka said:
    If you're looking for somewhere to move the battered tubescreamer on to then let me know (I've always wanted one) ;-)
    I never let go of Pedals, it will probably find it's way to my get-up and go pedal board (not that it ever gets used)
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    edited December 2014

I've got a Tech21 Double Drive for sale in the classifieds that might do the job for you on the Marshall side of things....very flexible pedal that simulates both Class A and Class A/B power tube drive..lots of boost on tap if needed too.

Here's a link to the Tech21 page, including sound samples.. http://www.tech21nyc.com/archive/doubledrive.html

• Cheers for that. I do have a Sansamp PSA one in my recording rack, just there is an underlying tone that I don't get on with otherwise that would be straight one of the loops
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17673
    tFB Trader
    I'd say the Hardwire OD as many people have said. 

Alternatively you could look at the MXR Badass OD. 

If you want something like a Guv then a crunchbox (or one of it's many clones) is a winner. If you want something more classic Marshall then a Distortron perhaps.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Gainier TS: Xotic AC. Late 60s Marshall: Weehbo JTM. Accept no substitute.

^ Isn't the weehbo a substitute for, er, a marshall?
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    It's like a Marshall but more Marshally.

I also really like the Ibanez Jet Driver, Great for a clean-yet-dirty sound. Sustains nicely yet note are clear, even with my shite playing and the gain on 11.

JohnPerry said:
    It's like a Marshall but more Marshally.
    LOL
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    @axemeister

I have an Ibanez Jet Driver, I just haven't bonded with. If you'd like it, it's yours for £40. I dont have a box or manual. It's a chinese model.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.