Why do I do this? WHY, GODDAMMIT????

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26784
While I was having a root around for some cables, I came across my old ART SGE Mach II rack effects unit. It's basically sat completely unused for quite a few years (probably around 6 or 7), because the dry signal had all sorts of quality issues. So...now that I have the parallel loop on the Decatone, I thought I'd dig it out and give it a go.

I instantly regretted it. This thing - as a digital effects unit made in 1991 - has absolutely no right to sound as good as it does. Decent reverbs, some really nice delays (including a dual delay with individual settings for #1 and #2, and a pretty bloody good multi-tap delay)...but overall, just a relatively easy-to-use, cheap little box of fun with surprisingly little noise. It can even do parallel reverb and delay, which I can't even do with the Eleven Rack.

And, of course, I'm now sitting here seriously considering a MIDI rig again. Put that in the loop, keep my phaser, tuner and boost out in front of the amp, and use a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher to change channels on the amp via MIDI.

Anyone want to buy a couple of TC delay pedals?

Argh.
<space for hire>
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Do it. It's worth bugger-all to sell anyway, a quick check on Ebay shows £50 +/- £20 as about the going rate!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Do it. It's worth bugger-all to sell anyway, a quick check on Ebay shows £50 +/- £20 as about the going rate!
    Heh...I actually bought it about 10 years ago for £70, just because I wanted the X-11 MIDI footswitch that came with it :D
    <space for hire>
  • So many of the older digital effects units sound really good. Lower fidelity digital works better for my ears. Just sold a Roland RSP-550 rack unit today with some of the best modulation options I've ever heard. I even liked the flange sounds :D

• Oops.

<space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice work!! I have a Studio Quad that I barely see, let alone use. But it's worth about £20 and sounds awesome. Same goes for my BBE Sonic Maximiser.

Rack kit gets a bad rap these days, but it is cool.
  • The most stupid thing about this is that I originally thought about it a month or so ago, then thought "naaaahhh" and spent £60 on a Lava cable kit. Which, of course, is now redundant.
    <space for hire>
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2934
    That footswitch gets a thumbs-up from me, purely because it looks like it came from the set of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • :D

It's actually the matching unit for the SGE Mach II.
    <space for hire>
  • Nice! I love rack units, and I love watching your rig evolve/cycle ;)
  • Nice! I love rack units, and I love watching your rig evolve/cycle ;)
    Every now and then, I pick up something which is going to stay. That's usually an amp or guitar. Effects are an ever-evolving love/hate thing for me, because I'm forever trying to find better ways to make it usable and stop the tapdancing.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    I must get my old early 90s Boss SE-70 half rack out again and see if it still sounds as good as I remember.

Actually I must get it out and see if it still even works! I seem to remember it has a memory backup battery which you were meant to change after 10 years, and I never have. I think it's 23 years old now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I must get my old early 90s Boss SE-70 half rack out again and see if it still sounds as good as I remember.

Actually I must get it out and see if it still even works! I seem to remember it has a memory backup battery which you were meant to change after 10 years, and I never have. I think it's 23 years old now...

I used to have the se50. That had a backup battery. Not a bad little unit, the delays and reverbs were fairly decent but the overdrives were a bit average.
    The Swamp City Shakers