Pretty amazing (automotive content)

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited December 2014 in Off Topic
This came up on Facebook from Top Gear - a 100-year-old Fiat with a 28.5 litre (yes, really) four-cylinder engine. Built for land speed records.

Only two ever made, and the surviving body of one has been mated to the surviving engine of the other. The engine is started up for the first time in over 100 years at 1:55 (after some herculean effort from the man cranking the engine :D)

And the noise... bloody hell. Sounds like Satan's lawnmower. And you can see all the explosions happening inside it!
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I think my laptop speakers blew.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Bloody Hell - what a sound!   :-O
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    It stops at 2:23, is that when it used up the tank of fuel? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2990
    tFB Trader
    Fiat - probably an electrical problem.

Sounds great though.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562

What a Beast.

Brave man to crank that!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Good lord :D.

As Bucket said, that really does bring it home that an internal combustion engine is driven by a series of controlled explosions - something which is quite easy to forget when you listen to a modern car engine.

I doubt I'd want to drive it either - 300BHP on something not very far removed from four Victorian bicycle tyres and with similar brakes no doubt!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    Reminds me of that Brutus thing with the airplane engine they had on Top Gear. That engine though, wow! Sounds incredible. Looks to be the size of a wardrobe too.
    Did they just install a 28.5 litre engine in a glorified pram frame?

tFB Trader

There's some home-grown monsters, I'd love to go see them somewhere but last time I tried I failed to find event listings etc.
    One with a 24-litre aero engine :)

http://www.xrstyle.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?31124-VSCC-Curborough-speed-trials

Somewhere there's a great article with a bunch of pics on the first one - note oak chassis... them were't days etc.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014 tFB Trader

Corvus said:

There's some home-grown monsters, I'd love to go see them somewhere but last time I tried I failed to find event listings etc.
    One with a 24-litre aero engine :)

http://www.xrstyle.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?31124-VSCC-Curborough-speed-trials

Somewhere there's a great article with a bunch of pics on the first one - note oak chassis... them were't days etc.

You get a wow for that lot. :)

Remember "The Beast"? Cant think of the guy's name that built it, John summat? It was a kind of stretched hatchback with a Rolls grille........and a RR Merlin engine. Road legal too.

boogieman said:

Remember "The Beast"? Cant think of the guy's name that built it, John summat? It was a kind of stretched hatchback with a Rolls grille........and a RR Merlin engine. Road legal too.

Was that the one that broke down on kids TV show Blue Peter?

Errr, dunno! I know it caught fire and had to be rebuilt at one point.

tFB Trader

Hi boogieman, I do remember that, there's also a fella who built a Rover SD1 with a tank engine that was the Merlin engine in a different guise... had ginormous chassis rails :)  Saw it at a show a few years ago part-done.

• awesome. heard it at work on my mate's laptop but the speakers were crap so I listened at home just now. wow!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    boogieman said:

Yep, I know about that from a couple of magazine articles in recent years. Fascinating thing.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    The rotary one. Wow!!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    boogieman said:
    The rotary one. Wow!!!
    Hopefully it's actually a radial rather than a rotary, or that would be seriously scary with your legs either side of it!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein