So the wifebot got made redundant...

What's Hot
tbmtbm Frets: 585
I'm actually pretty glad. She's been threatening to leave for a while now, and the company - in fact the industry - really don't value their workers. At least she walks away with a modest sum of money.

I all of a sudden feel under a good bit of pressure now though. Our kids are getting yanked out of creche and afterschool, and I'm the sole earner. She certainly doesn't want to be a stay at home mum in the long term, but the industry she's worked in since college - TV post-production - pays crap and doesn't really give a f*ck if you have kids to collect, you stay till the jobs done and the client is happy. So basically neither of us want her to go back into that environment. That means she's starting from scratch in another employment area though. I foresee financial strife ahead.

My job seems pretty secure, but a safety net has been removed so I'm quietly shitting a brick here.

Not selling any guitars mind.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I guess the skills are fairly transferable to some extent to other media/arts/advertising industries.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I know that stress well dude. When Mrs_MD and I moved to england last year she had to leave work. It's quite intimidating knowing you're the only one with income until she starts working again.

Good luck dude hopefully she finds something soon.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Is there any way she could do subverting self employed?
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    My girlfriend was under threat with it last month, but dodged the bullet. As it turns out she wished she'd have been offered a package now.

Being employed by bad employers is overrated-Not to make light of anybody out there's situation who's been made redundant/unemployed (We're lucky that I work and fairly secure, and she has skills that would see her walk into another similar job and no kids) you sound like you'll be ok though. 

Good luck with it all, and don't piss the boss off-you might be selling a couple if you do!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    What guitar gear are you buying with her redundancy money ?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited December 2014
    Joking aside these situations can make you analyse your circumstances and audit your expenditures ultimately making you better off as you economise and save money. I recently worked out I spend £150 a month on my sons after school care and £132 a month on his swimming football and rugby. Mental! Good luck!
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    capo4th said:
    What guitar gear are you buying with her redundancy money ?
    No guitars. Going to get a couple of Two Rocks to run in stereo though....
    capo4th said:
    Joking aside these situations can make you analyse your circumstances and audit your expenditures ultimately making you better off as you economise and save money. I recently worked out I spend £150 a month on my sons after school care and £132 a month on his swimming football and rugby. Mental! Good luck!
    Well we're immediately saving about a grand by not having the lads in childcare. But we'll have to look at everything else too though. I could live without Sky for one. And honestly, do the lads really need xmas presents? I think not.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    tbm said:
    I'm quietly shitting a brick here. 
    Don't do it quietly. Communicate.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    edited December 2014
    Sorry to hear that.
    I have been there. My wife was the main earner back then as we had the mortgage with the bank. We had an 18 month old at the time. She never really went back to full time work after that.
    We went on to have two more kids.

I became the sole breadwinner and then in my late 40's  I just moved house with big mortgage and had a 12 year old a 8 year old and 4 year old and no job and a wife that was out of the emplyment loop.

It was just before Xmas and I spent the worse two weeks of my life over the xmas holidays then.

But... life did not stop . The kids carried on growing , I found another job at a lower level in another company and my attititude to work has changed a lot. I no longer stress out so much about work.

Playing Jazz chords and understanding modes , yes ....work Nah.  So the moral of my story , watch out if the wife does not get a job you might find her sprouting more sprogs...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16071
    ....since I discovered Redtube
    tae be or not tae be
  • At the risk of being boringly practical, have you done everything you can to reduce out-goings, ie, checked buildings/contents/car insurance/energy/phone suppliers are the best they can be in terms of cost.

If you have, simply value the fact that your wife can spend a little more time with your children....
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    At the risk of being boringly practical, have you done everything you can to reduce out-goings, ie, checked buildings/contents/car insurance/energy/phone suppliers are the best they can be in terms of cost.

If you have, simply value the fact that your wife can spend a little more time with your children....
    This kind of stuff - comparing service suppliers for the best deal - makes me sleepy just thinking about it. My wife however is totally on top of it. She's always changing our gas, electricity, internet to whoever has to best deal.

• tbm;434463" said:
    This kind of stuff - comparing service suppliers for the best deal - makes me sleepy just thinking about it. My wife however is totally on top of it. She's always changing our gas, electricity, internet to whoever has to best deal.
    Fair enough - I'm not suggesting it's particularly enjoyable - but neither is not having enough money....

Sounds like your wife is very sensible