Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Decent quality budget reverb pedal......is there such a thing?

What's Hot
surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
Hi Guys

I don't tend to use effects much at all but sometimes want a bit a reverb.  I have an old fender reverb tank which stays hooked up to one particular amp as it's a pain to connect it up when switching amps so I was hoping to buy something like a Joyo reverb pedal but.......they don't seem to do one!!  :)  I bought a Joyo analogue delay which was ideal for me and to my ears sounds pretty damn good for the money so thought a Joyo reverb might be more of the same.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there's anything out there that won't break the bank but is still reasonably decent? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    TBH I thought the behringer RV600 reverb machine sounds fine, aside from its being plastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What's your definition of "budget"

There's a second hand TC Hall of Fame Mini in the classifieds for £50. They're great (I have one on my gigging board).
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Boss FRV 'Fender' Reverb pedal or second-hand old-style EH Holy Grail
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17681
    tFB Trader
    The HOF Mini is £60 that's a bargain in my book. Especially as if you buy it and something else from the same range you get a free Spark boost.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Cirrus;433445" said:
    TBH I thought the behringer RV600 reverb machine sounds fine, aside from its being plastic.

Same here, great pedal.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited December 2014

The Behringer really is pretty decent.  

But if you wanted something a little better and much more solid, the Marshall RF1 'Reflector' is built like a tank and is very good.  About £79 new, you can get a used one on Ebay for around £20-40. Several on there currently, one has a start bid of £9.50 with no bids currently and another at £12.50 currently. Does Hall, Plate, spring 1, spring 2, reverse reverb.  Very versatile, with time, damping & level controls. It is passive bypass and also has an input for an expression pedal, and an alternative 'spill' out socket that allows the reverb to naturally decay (rather than just 'stopping dead') when you switch the pedal off which is a nice touch.  

This is a nice demo, to demo sounds (but not in English):

Also, I found a vid demo comparing the Hall of Fame with the RF1 - I haven't heard the HOF but general consensus of the demo'er (who says he wasn't impressed by the HOF) and most of the listeners who commented is that the RF1 sounded better, - YMMV of course but have a listen & see what you think.

I have 4 of the Marshall pedals (Echo Head EH1, Guvn'r GV2, Bluesbreaker BB2, Jackhammer JH1) and (for a single effect dedicated pedal) in terms of tone, bang for buck & solid construction, this range of pedals is hard to beat. BUT ......

Recently, I was put on to (by the guys here) a a Zoom multi-stomp box - the Zoom MS-70CDR - for the same £79 of a new RF1, you can have this incredibly versatile pedal that does tons of reverbs, delays, and modulations - here's a vid demo - and really could be the one for you:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    See if you can find a boss rvv 1/2rack unit- lush as hell and I got one for a tenner a few yrs back

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Second hand T Rex tonebug reverb is my standard answer here, stupidly cheap used and a really nice pedal. Although I suspect most things will be disappointing after your tank. The surf guitar forum has a lot of pages devoted to reverb and the best tank alike. A few boutique/ pricey answers but the bog standard is the FRV-1 for tank like performance. So, if you want something as close to your tank as possible on a budget ( say sub £100) that seems to be the one to go for.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    You can sometimes snag the Line 6 Verbzilla for around 60 quid used. Has good spring reverb options and tons more. A band I tour with own an old Fender spring reverb standalone unit that they used to take out on gigs, they're using the L6 instead now and are more than happy.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I had a Behringer Reverb Machine - sounded great, but stopped working after a while - put me off their stuff. I'd say the Zoom MS70CDR has to be a contender.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3465
    Can't fault my Mooer Shimverb. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I got that Marshall pedal as a freebie when I bought an amp.

it's okay. Not stellar but close your eyes and it makes you sound like you're in a cave/ the bog/ a hallway/ George Osbourne's cranium. Does the job.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    You can get good stuff for £50 used, on top of the ones already mentioned the Biyang reverb is pretty decent too.

• I might have misremembered this, but isn't there a headroom (or lack of) issue with the Marshall? So beware if you're sending a boosted signal into it.
  • I like the Marshall one, had that ages. I've got the Behringer RV600 too, lots of lovely noises including shimmer.

Hall of Fame is the best verb I own, but that's not really budget,

As others have said the Zoom MS70CDR is worth a look at. It models lots of the expensive reverb pedals, plus has delays, modulations and one of the best noise suppression algorithms around.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2936
    Bang for buck-wise, it's gotta be the Zoom MS70CDR. So many awesome sounds in that thing. If you're really looking to penny-pinch, the Behringer sounds great too.
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I like the ms70cdr too. If you wanted to come have a go with mine Guy, you'd be very welcome (there's actually space to sit down in the house now!).
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• The Marshall Reflector sounds really good, and not just for the price. 

Alternatively if you see a second hand Digitech Hardwire reverb for £50--ish, grab it. You will find the spring model *spookily* similar to a long spring, valve powered fender reverb circuit. 

• Hey guys, thanks to everybody that's posted, absolutely brilliant.  Some really great ideas/suggestions here and pedals I wouldn't have ordinarily thought of.

Seems like the Marshall Reflector is a good option and strangely I see loads second hand going for little or no money.  Looks as if the Behringer is also an option and one I wouldn't have thought of, for some reason I had always ruled Behringer out but for no good reason.

Thanks VERY much @Voxman for the detailed info and particularly for the links.....!

I had also considered the Hall of Fame pedals second hand as they clearly have a great reputation and likewise the Boss Fender FRV.  The Boss pedals I've had have always been well made and I've never had a problem with any of them.

One of the nicest reverb pedals I've heard is the EH but my experience of EH has been pretty dreadful over the years with all but one failing for one reason or another so I've tended to steer clear.

I will check out the HOF mini and the Zooms as I've never heard of HOF and like with Behringer, I'd never have considered a Zoom.  And I keep seeing the Mooer Shimverb popping up so I will have to check that out too!

Once again, thanks for all the great ideas and I will now get on utube and start listening to all of the above!!!!  :)
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 806
    edited December 2014
    surfguy13 said:

Seems like the Marshall Reflector is a good option and strangely I see loads second hand going for little or no money.  Looks as if the Behringer is also an option and one I wouldn't have thought of, for some reason I had always ruled Behringer out but for no good reason.

I A/B'ed a borrowed Reflector a while back with a Hardwire I was also borrowing with an option to buy. To be honest, it was the spring model on the Hardwire that swung it, just subjectively rather than from a sound quality or construction point of view. I'd have been equally happy with the Marshall.