observation

What's Hot
our agricultural equipment works for years without maintenance even when covered in pigshit

whereas

our fire alarm system in a warm & dry building requires maintenance every few months and the wallah who does it takes yonks
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited December 2014
    I think one works mechanically and has big gears and wheels and the other works by electrickery and uses small transistors and Sillicon chips.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • I don't think routine maintenance on a potentially life-saving device is such a bad thing. You sort of know when a tractor's not working..it doesn't start. It's not quite as satisfactory to say "Ah well, now we know the fire alarm's busted...half the staff are dead"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • our gear is the electrickery. some of the designs aren't new (based on PIC16F877 for example)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2489
    It's worse than that they're NUCULAR! Americium to be precise (also shouldn't that be Americum?)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • we don't make tractors. we make weighing equipment, from weighbridges and platforms your piggies walk across to weigh them, to gear that tells you how much grain is in your combine harvester. The load cells are the mechanical bit. the rest is all electronics
  • Same principle, though, in that if your gear doesn't work, you find out when it doesn't work, whereas with a fire alarm you need to know before then.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    our agricultural equipment works for years without maintenance even when covered in pigshit
    I could introduce you to a fair few farmers who would disagree with that.

It might look as if it has had no maintenance, but that's because it's covered in pigshit (ie has been used).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • they contact us when it breaks, we fix it. no maintenance contracts. sometimes it works for years ....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    edited December 2014
    From experience fire alarms usually go off when they're faulty rather than staying silent . And always when a) it's your mate's day off and you're the only maintenance bloke on duty b) the building is full of visiting high level managers c) you can't silence the sounder, so the building gets evacuated and d) it's pissing down with rain outside. :-S
    Edit. Oh and e) the fire brigade are quiet that day, so come down to have a look. Firemen are notoriously willing to bash every door down too, rather than wait for someone with a key.
  • @boogieman I had similar with smoke detectors. 2 houses ago, I had a rewire job done and the bloke insisted on fitting them. The one in the hallway would go off without fail whenever I fried an egg, or made toast, when the kitchen door was not fully closed. However when the oil-filled motor-run capacitor on my Hammond L100 blew up leaving smoke so thick in the music room and hallway (the door was open) that you couldn't see your hand in front of your face - did it go off? did it heck. I sellotaped a white plastic bag over it after that. Worse than useless.