4x12 prices, please help me manage my expectations.

What's Hot
We've had the jokey £2950 4x12 thread, but can anyone tell me what is a reasonable price is for a second hand Marshall 1960B?

I'm not trying to be snide, but I've just been advised by someone that I was about to hand money over to that they wanted £350, not £250 for said item as that was half the price of a new one?  When that was posed to me I thought that he, or she, may be trying to pull a fast one.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24611
    eBay suggests under £275.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited December 2014
    £250 would be expected, £350 is cheaper than new of course but I've rarely if ever seen private 1960a/b (T75) cabs sell at that price. My band mate paid about £160 for his old 1960a, location and collection only makes a big difference on auctions.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    In good condition £250 is probably fair - I'm tight though so I'd hold out for one under £200 unless you want the v30 option or something vintagy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72599
    They don't hold their value well compared to the new price because it's always a local buyer's market. No-one wants to ship one, and they're common enough that no-one will drive far to fetch one either. The only ones likely to go for significantly more than £250 are ones with better speakers, either the V30s or G12Ms, and even then over £300 is pushing it unless it's basically in new condition.

If its not in as-new condition, always check for missing or damaged castors and the wood around them - they can take a severe battering if the cab has been gigged - and any damage to the input/switching panel, which can get stressed if the cable is tugged sideways and in the worst case can be a risk to the amp if it fails.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• May I just say that it up to the chap how much he sells it for, but I don't want to pay much more than I need too.

@ICBM, you're right about not wanting to travel to far to collect, especially when I've seen a B-stock at £450 delivered.

Thank you all for the advice. I thought I may have be being a bit tight, but you've reinforced my convictions.
  • Well after a bit of judicious ebaying and a two hour drive, I have a 4x12 for £133.  It's a bit scuffed, but I am always suspicious of guitarists with pristine cabs. 
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Was it a Marshall 1960 in the end? Happy new cab day ☺️
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited December 2014
    Yes, 1960b, with a JCM900 label on it. I am v happy. In fact £217 happier than I would have been if I'd bought the cab off "Mr £350 is half teh price of a new one."

And thank you.
    Straight cabs sound better too :).

At least if you're into heavier sounds.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've already had @Clarky remonstrating me for having it face up in the car.  It should be face down so I can wang loads of kit on it. :D
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    A guy on Facebook is flogging a Soldano 4x12 fpr £300 at the moment. On that UK Exchange page.
  • I don't need another cab.

Or do I?
  • Does @digitalscream know about that ^ ?
  • Aye, I do cheers - it's red, though :( I'd prefer a Soldano 2x12", mind, and I won't be able to afford one until April/May next year.
    <space for hire>
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2364
    ^ Wrong smiley. Should be " =P~"

Unless you're holding out for purple. That would be acceptable. :D
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Does @digitalscream know about that ^ ?

he was the first person I sent it to. I quite fancy myself with absolutely no need for it.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    @ICBM What's the logic there. Larger internal volume in a straight cab?
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I've already had @Clarky remonstrating me for having it face up in the car.  It should be face down so I can wang loads of kit on it. :D
    haa… yeah… you got to protect the grille and cones..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hertz32 said:
    @ICBM What's the logic there. Larger internal volume in a straight cab?
    Yes - and the less braced baffle, and the cleaner internal reflection off the back board. The straight cabs sound 'heavier' and more resonant. Angled cabs sound tighter and more complex.

Or it could just be that you hear the top speakers more clearly in an angled cab :).

No, I don't think it is! It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable even when you're directly in front of the straight cab as well.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4198
    Chris  the local Crack Converters ( Banbury )  has the Harley Benton 4x12 for £150 iirc they are fitted with Celestion V30's  might be a bargain for someone