Delay knob twiddling?

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
When I started gigging after moving away from the Boss multi FX I bought a Nova Delay unit which is programmable.  I've set about four delays up in the presets.  I did that because I was really nervous and had enough problems tuning and stopping my hands from shaking and I thought it would be easier live.

It is a bit fiddly to change settings though and sometimes I screw up so hit the global tempo and feck up my settings.  

I'm currently using a short slapback for the walk this way solo, a long one for london calling and an average one for two or three other songs (inc sex on fire for example)

what do you guys do - do you just adjust during the gig for different settings for songs and how easy do you find it?  I'd might need a frigging list of settings?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've tried and I just can't work delay pedals without screens and presets.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    edited December 2014

Each preset in the Nova Delay can be set to use either a fixed delay time (stored with the preset), or to use whatever the current global tempo is. If you have a preset that needs to be at a certain tempo (eg, slapback) store it with a fixed tempo.

If you have a preset that's set to use the global tempo, and you bugger that up when trying to scroll through patches, then just reset the global tempo once your patch is selected. (If resetting the global tempo is a hassle, then I'd be wondering why a particular preset is set to use it in the first place.)

You can also limit the number of presets that it scrolls through. If you only use three, then you can make it scroll through P1, P2, P3 and back to P1. That way, you minimise the number of foot-taps to cycle through to the next preset you want to use.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    @nomad - I think i've not worked out how to tell the individual preset not to use the global tempo

so 

1. have a wisdom and a wow! on me
    2. how do i tell the patches to ignore the global tempo?

I'd managed to limit the presets that I use :)

that is exciting because I can add another preset which I can use for tap tempo - that is almost worth another wisdom in its own right!!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5178
    edited December 2014

^ What Sticky said.

I had a Nova Modulator for a while and found the patch switching and tap tempo systems quite fiddly, particularly if you're in a hurry (ie. during a song). You might find that a different delay pedal makes your life easier in that respect- I've previously used a DL-4 and a DD-20 which both had very simple patch switching arrangements, but as you probably know they don't have the same number of preset slots available as the Nova Delay you have. The Vox Delaylab I currently use has a more convoluted bank switching process, but each bank gives you three different presets immediately accessible.

Of course, the root of your problem seems to me to be stage nerves rather than your gear. It's worth organizing a few band rehearsals prior to gigs as "dress rehearsals" where you run your whole set without stopping as you would live, including guitar changes, effects changes etc. Once you've done that a few times you may feel less stressed about making quick changes. If not you might need to ask for advice here about how to overcome nerves.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited December 2014
    @english_bob

thanks.  I've got over the stage nerves now - the pedal choice was done a year ago!!  

one of the roots of the problem is now the fact that the pedalboard is stored with my gigging amp and don't come out to play other than for rehearsals or gigs so I don't get to fiddle with the pedals much - which means that I'm unfamiliar with the controls on the more complex Nova unit. 

I've also got a nova modulator which isn't used v much as I'm not using any modulation for the band so I don't have any idea how to use it at all!!  It will mean resorting to the manual when I do - I liked it for the fact that it did most known modulation types in one box

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    nickp said:
    2. how do i tell the patches to ignore the global tempo?

Page 15 of the manual. Go into preset mode and pick the preset you want to change. Press the Type button for 1 second to toggle between global/fixed mode. The LED in the Preset button indicates the current mode: steady is global, flashing is fixed. Select as requirend and then store your preset.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...