Tech question... FTP for n00bs...

What's Hot
Hey guys...

What is the best way to give the rest of my band FTP access to our online storage? Currently we pay X amount for our domain and a whole bunch of space, as well a paying for a Dropbox account. It's an unecessary expenditure. Thinking of getting rid of the Dropbox one and just remaining on the free account, and using FTP for anything that is massive.

But they're all technophobe idiots (sorry guys when you see this! but you know it's true!) and I don't trust them to be able to open up Filezilla and click a bookmark!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    I think that's the appeal of Dropbox. 

It works for people who don't understand FTP. If they can't do Filezilla you might be a bit stuck.

If you are using plain FTP some browsers might be able to cope with urls like:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FTP is largely an ASCII based protocol so just read RFC 969 open a telnet session and knock yourself out!

Seriously though what's your requirement, do they need to be able to upload stuff or just download from links? Browsers will give you a login popup if you just send something like

So for download as long as they can click a link and type in a username / pwd they should be fine.

For upload I would have though a client is the least hassle although there may be web based ones around ie/

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4635
    edited December 2014
    have a look at filezilla. its free and it works.

ah. just read what you wrote.

ignore this
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah. They're just tards. Upload and download.

Maybe a better option is to ditch our webspace package and just keep the domain.