Show us your Loobs!

What's Hot
TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
edited December 2014 in Making & Modding
I too am intrigued by this build. Get your pics out for the lads.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    OK. It's a one piece MJT butterscotch very lightly relices body. Wilkinson bridge. Bakelite guard, oil city humbucker and Thames delta. All parts TMO FAT, tonepro klusons.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Pics ?
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Ah, you bought the correct neck. I have two. Well done!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Oil City = much sexy

I have a pic of the body but I'm not sure how to attach it (I don't have a computer, posting from phone).
    It'll look like Keef's Macawber, albeit Butterscotch.

I'm also contemplating going for a p90 in the neck slot as my other guitars are both dual humbucker.
    Upon reflection, I've decided to go for a humbucker sized p90 in the neck.
    PICS! ;)

I do like the P90s but prefer the humbucker look on them. Have the dog ear on my LP junior and that thing roars.

edited December 2014
    edited December 2014
    There's the body. Seems a shame to route it for a bigger neck pickup but needs must.

The pickuard tuners and electrosocket should be here next week.

The bridge is waiting back in blighty for me when I visit at xmas.

Still waiting on the neck.

Just ordered this and a Thames Delta from Ash @ Oil City
  • Loobs;437850" said:

Just ordered this and a Thames Delta from Ash @ Oil City
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, what a cool looking pickup!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah man, it is! Can't wait to get it.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I guess you have decided to get the neck pickup cavity routed out to accept the hum-sized P90 - I think a good decision there, and would give you the flexibility to switch to a PAF type humbucker if you ever want to. Although that hum-size P90 from Oil City looks rather mouth watering, nice choice.
    I would be interested to hear that P90 in a humbucker size. How do they do the windings? I only ask as my P90 on the LP Jnr seems much bigger than a humbucker size and I wonder if this affects the tone in terms of the winding spacing.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11998
    edited December 2014 tFB Trader
    TinLip said:
    I would be interested to hear that P90 in a humbucker size. How do they do the windings? I only ask as my P90 on the LP Jnr seems much bigger than a humbucker size and I wonder if this affects the tone in terms of the winding spacing.
    Many manufacturers of humbucker sized P90s use sawn off P90 bobbins for convenience. This means it is impossible to get a full load of 42awg wire (10,000 plus turns) on to the shortened bobbins. This leads to low power and a more 'Strat' like tones. If finer wire is used ... the tone will also be out due to incorrect coil shape. My Mighty Nineties use a full load of 42awg wire with the correct turn count due to their specially hand made bobbin work. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    TinLip said:
    Many manufacturers of humbucker sized P90s use sawn off P90 bobbins for convenience. This means it is impossible to get a full load of 42awg wire (10,000 plus turns) on to the shortened bobbins. This leads to low power and a more 'Strat' like tones. If finer wire is used ... the tone will also be out due to incorrect coil shape. My Mighty Ninties use a full load of 42awg wire with the correct turn count due to their specially hand made bobbin work. 
    Much sexy - and have a Wisdom!

Being completely ignorant about these types of things, would you say it is more the materials or the # of winds that give the pickups their "P90" type of tone? I ask because from what I know the P90's are made in the same style as a single-coil yet sound nothing like them.

I know I sound like a 5 year old.

Megii;438761" said:
    I guess you have decided to get the neck pickup cavity routed out to accept the hum-sized P90 - I think a good decision there, and would give you the flexibility to switch to a PAF type humbucker if you ever want to. Although that hum-size P90 from Oil City looks rather mouth watering, nice choice.
    That was my thinking.
    TheGuitarWeasel;438947" said:
    TinLip said:

Many manufacturers of humbucker sized P90s use sawn off P90 bobbins for convenience. This means it is impossible to get a full load of 42awg wire (10,000 plus turns) on to the shortened bobbins. This leads to low power and a more 'Strat' like tones. If finer wire is used ... the tone will also be out due to incorrect coil shape. My Mighty Nineties use a full load of 42awg wire with the correct turn count due to their specially hand made bobbin work. 
    Looking forward to hearing it, Ash!
    Right, so I'm back in sunny Epping now at Old Mrs. Loobs' place and have some more bits to play with.

I taped on the bridge : holes seem perfect and aligned the control plate better - think it looks OK? Of course the pickguard will also have a say in that.

The neck from Allparts; well, I'm very impressed. It fits the body like a glove. You can almost pick it up without screws. Doesn't look quite as anaemic as I thought when on the body - we'll see what a couple coats of the oil does, might be sufficient. It's also very smooth. The profile is big but not overwhelmingly.

Would like pick up the pickups from Oil City Pickups this evening but London is in a state of hysteria as you may expect and I'm feeling under the weather, already having travelled back from Berlin today with a rotten cold. Don't much fancy schlepping anywhere on the tube.

Also got the heavily knurled knobs from Acecaster which are the shit. This guitar is gonna be light though - under 7lbs I predict.

Hopefully the tuners/pickguard/pickups should be in my hands by the end of the week.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom