What mini tuner pedal?

I'm sure this must have been discussed before, but I can't find an old thread, so...

I've always used a headstock tuner, but can sometimes be a problem trying to tune up while another band is playing.  Thinking of getting a tuner pedal, but space on my little board is tight, so it'll need to be a mini one.

What's the general opinion on what's best of the little ones?  I know of the PolyTune mini, Korg Pitch Black mini, is there a Mooer one?  Some reviews seem to suggest the PolyTune is rather inconsistent (disagrees with itself in poly vs mono mode) - is this a fair criticism?  Is there another one I've not heard of that's better?

I don't need it to have a buffer at the moment because my wah pedal is buffered, but if any of the minis do have a (good) buffer that may be a bonus if I every change the wah.

What's your opinions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24660
    I use a Polytune Mini 2

Works great for me!
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922

Mmmn. I've got the polytune mini. I'm not sure if I really like it. I don't really use the polytune function, just the individual. It's ok, but sometimes I don't really feel that the guitar's all that well in tune after using it. And it's not shown me that my intonation is out either.

I have to preface this by saying that I haven't used any other floor tuners though to compare, so maybe I'm being picky/unrealistic.

I've heard good things about the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. It's about half way between normal polytune and the mini in size.

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Can't help with the 'mini' bit, but I've had a Polytune for a couple years now, which I think is the same internals as the mini and apart from it being noisy when it was powered on a daisy chain, I'm happy with it.

Yes, sometimes the poly bit will say a string is slightly out but then the single will say it's in tune, not seen it the other way round though, which I've always thought was to do with it being more accurate in single mode than poly.

What I tend to do is, quick strum, which will highlight the string that might be out of tune and then check the individual ones that are marked as out.  It might sound like extra faff, but I think it's generally sped up tuning as I can quickly check with one strum.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17674
    tFB Trader
    i like the polytune for the big display, but I find the actual "poly" element useless. On mine it will always say some of the strings are out of tune, but when you check them individually they aren't
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11940
    I never use the Poly element.  I like tuning each string on its own.  I like the mini mainly because it fits on the tight spot on my board.
  • OK, thanks folks.  Anybody use the Korg one?  Or any others?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    edited December 2014
    Turbo Tuner. TGP's favourite cork.

https://www.turbo-tuner.com/pages/manual-st2.htm

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I never use the Poly element.  I like tuning each string on its own.  I like the mini mainly because it fits on the tight spot on my board.

It's really usefull if you're gigging. Just a quick simple strum between songs to let you know if anything's out rather than having to go through each individually. That's the real benefit of the Polytune.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17674
    tFB Trader
    I never use the Poly element.  I like tuning each string on its own.  I like the mini mainly because it fits on the tight spot on my board.

It's really usefull if you're gigging. Just a quick simple strum between songs to let you know if anything's out rather than having to go through each individually. That's the real benefit of the Polytune.
    Or in my case a quick strum to show that half of the strings are out of tune and then check them and they aren't 
  • i like the polytune for the big display, but I find the actual "poly" element useless. On mine it will always say some of the strings are out of tune, but when you check them individually they aren't

The iPhone app does exactly the same thing. Sounds like there's some fundamental problem with an algorithm.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2934
    I use a Korg Pitchblack Poly, I think it's great. Not much else I can say about it really.