Should I use an Compressor for ambient guitar

What's Hot
I don't use a compressor but I've seen that a lot of people use them for ambient stuff. Anybody able to help me out on why this is and how it would benefit me to use one? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    It will give you more sustain and a 'smoother' sound
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    I would have thought reverb and delay were the tools for an ambient tone?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11941
    And a volume pedal.
  • I've got 2 delays, a reverb and a trem so I'm definitely there on that front! I wondered if it helped keep the picking sound clear?
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited December 2014
    I think it would help with keeping the attack level consistent and add sustain in to reverb and delay...

• Found this today, he explains a bit and gives some examples.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^^^^^ It's worth watching his whole series. The guy is a God when it comes to ambient composition. Copying his pedalboard can make anyone sound awesome.....along with a little talent of course!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    ^^^^^ It's worth watching his whole series. The guy is a God when it comes to ambient composition. Copying his pedalboard can make anyone sound awesome.....along with a little talent of course!!
    i've watched a few of these. More convinced about his pedals than his talent tbh

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've not long got a diamond comp, and it's a tricky one.  It isn't a turn on and wow kinda pedal, it's subtle.  But when you turn it off something is missing.  

I actually find it works really well with gain, for example, a Marshall esq sound doesn't lend itself too well to barre chords, or some chord variations. With the diamond comp, each string is much clearer and the sound is much more balanced, which really helps the sound of the chords/phrases.

So with that in mind, in ambient music a big part is layer after layer of sound, so if you can have a product that helps with clarity in those layers, it can't be a bad thing right?  However, you might not watch to have the comp up to far so the pop/squeeze is too much as this might add dull freqs throughout.

I wouldn't use it for the sustain purpose, you have enough delay/reverb for that generally.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    JohnPerry said:
    ^^^^^ It's worth watching his whole series. The guy is a God when it comes to ambient composition. Copying his pedalboard can make anyone sound awesome.....along with a little talent of course!!
    i've watched a few of these. More convinced about his pedals than his talent tbh
    pffft is that not most genres ;)
  • If you want to give one a try you could do a lot worse than pick up the DOD FX80B that is in the classifieds. They are awesome and very cheap.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • I play a lot of ambient stuff and a compressor is one of the most useful tools i have bought! 

When playing 'swells' with a volume pedal it adds loads of sustain! 

It also helps to add clarity to picking over the top of pads. 

I would suggest getting something with a blend control where you can blend your clean and compressed signal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I would suggest getting something with a blend control where you can blend your clean and compressed signal. 
    Good tip.

The Xotic SP is perfect for that.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11941
    therose789;438929" said:
    I play a lot of ambient stuff and a compressor is one of the most useful tools i have bought! 

When playing 'swells' with a volume pedal it adds loads of sustain! 

It also helps to add clarity to picking over the top of pads. 

I would suggest getting something with a blend control where you can blend your clean and compressed signal. 
    What compressor do you use at the moment?
  • I have a JHS pulp n' peel @RaymondLin I love it! 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22257
    edited July 2015
    joeyowen said:
    I've not long got a diamond comp, and it's a tricky one.  It isn't a turn on and wow kinda pedal, it's subtle.  But when you turn it off something is missing.  

I used to think my Tim was the only pedal I'd never sell but the Diamond is in there. It suits my music perfectly. 

For ambient stuff, dick around with pedal chains. Compressor into delay then reverb, compressor into a short reverb going into a longer reverb is very cool. For a while I had a VanAmps Solemate going into a Laney long spring reverb tank head (one of those PA-type head units with four inputs). That was a fabulous sound. Pitchshifting is good too. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Compressors are a dark art... you have to be a member of the 'Brotherhood' to appreciate their true value in the wider scheme of things...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Hush now, Brother Godwin. Until he has learnt the secret handshake and been baptised in the Water of the Congregation, he is not ready for this. 

• 57Deluxe said:
    Compressors are a dark art... you have to be a member of the 'Brotherhood' to appreciate their true value in the wider scheme of things...
    Hush now, Brother Godwin. Until he has learnt the secret handshake and been baptised in the Water of the Congregation, he is not ready for this. 
    Brother Godwin can't hush. Everything he says beneath a certain volume is automatically manipulated to even out peaks and troughs
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Then it has come to this. Matron, bring out Autotune. We shall turn him into a white female pop singer in seconds.