Another Small Body Acoustic Discussion....

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8566
edited September 2013 in Acoustics

Starting a new job in a couple of months that will see me spend a few more nights away from home in a hotel.

I've pursuaded Wifey that if she doesn't buy me a travel acoustic for my imminent birthday then I will either become a barfly and develop an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, or I will occupy my time with high class prostitutes which, aside from the obvious moral implications, will mean that I will no longer be able to afford the mortgage.

She's agreed.

So which way to go, small parlour type (there are loads out there in the £200 - £300 range), or go 3/4 like a Baby Taylor or Sigma TM15 (think I preferred the Sigma to the Baby when I tried it).

I know the 3/4's will be more of a compromise but they usually come with bags and are quite a bit more compact, and it's only for a quick noodle here and there.

Around the £200 - £250 mark is what I can get away with hopefully.

Particularly interested in those that use a smaller acoustic for actual travel, rather than home use only.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8566
    ^^ oooh, I say, haven't come across these before, looks good.
    played one up at Intersound about this time last year.........was very impressed - it was a nadger over £300 back then.  It is, as I say quite a narrow neck.........but sounds great

I take it by narrow neck you mean the profile rather than the nut width, the spec says the nut is 46mm, which is pretty big is it not?

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    edited September 2013
    The small Breedlove Passport may be at the top end of you budget but they are very good.  Short scale, they come tuned to A, although I've tuned mine to Ab.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13070111064158&gclid=CJGX36rA57kCFZQZtAodPS8Axw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013
    dindude said:

I take it by narrow neck you mean the profile rather than the nut width, the spec says the nut is 46mm, which is pretty big is it not?

does it ?   crikey didnt feel like a 46 ...........worth trying one out tho
  • I'd probably go the used baby route with gig bag, something that can sell on for similar money if circumstances change or you realise you want to go a different route. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    edited September 2013
    A +1 for the Breedlove - I got an OM/MME off ebay last year - it's great !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    TBH - the taylor big baby  I tried was a fun guitar to play, and I do believe a certain Mr Buckingham's 'grab guitar' of choice -    still one of their best IMHO  (if you can avoid the bad side of the  hit & miss QC of the early models)

Cheers fellas, some good suggestions here.

• RichRich Frets: 18
    edited September 2013
    New Paul Brett Vintage Viator: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUI6-aFoBs

I played the prototype. Has a v-shaped neck which may not be for everyone but is lovely, and loud!

Edit: darn, don't know how to paste that video into the post.
  • My Vintage V880's been chucked in and out of vans more times than I care to count (used it to warm up vocals pre-show with my last band) and I love the thing, great bit of kit.

That Viator looks fab, again didn't know of its existance, top stuff.

• RichRich Frets: 18
    Yeah. it's awesome, and was really fun to mess around on. Think Paul said it's not actually in shops until November, but definitely worth a look when it's out. Apparently it's going to cost about £230, which is pretty damn good.
  • Hello, I have a Taylor gs mini maple ltd edition, that is not being used, I went thro a similar process just over a year ago & the taylor stood out head & shoulders above the competition, not the smallest of the bunch but the tone & volume was stunning, sadly a change of plans has seen it virtually unused, so if your near the west country (I'm close to m5 junc 28) you are welcome to try it out, it's in as new cond could be yours complete with all tags & gig bag for £325, mike b.
    ^thanks, love GS Mini's but too big for travel, plus I'm sorted for now, cheers.
    (I'm close to m5 junc 28) 
    cullomptonian eh ?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    edited October 2013

Hi D

GS Minis are good-sounding and good players and the pickup sound is really good and it's so much more than just a travel guitar, but they are more expensive.

The  Big Baby Taylors are also good (it's what I own and it's good enough to gig with - I have a Rare Earth pickup in it for live use) It also comes with a good quality padded bag. Although I haven't tried this, some people have mentioned removing it's bolt on neck if  flying/going abroad, but not sure if you'll get any issues if you keep doing that. The body is thin so you do need to be careful with it but the sound is big and typically Taylor-ish.

I believe you have an iPad and guitar apps. How about an electric like the Brian May minis?

Edit: sorry D, didn't read all the thread and now see you're sorted. On a different note/post, don't sell the LSunshine! :)
  • Just to add some some feedback from playing a load of three-quarter sized guitars (as read this old thread before going to the guitar shop).

Yamahas felt like toy guitars in comparision to others (good price though!).
    Sigmas were nice (the spruce top and mahagony tops) but didn't quite have the tone or feel of the Taylor / Martins to me. Action not as nice either but would have been very happy with the mahogany one if I hadn't played the others.
    Taylor Baby Mahogany had a lovely neck, more like an electric than acoustic neck, and sounded really good. I really liked this and the Sigma Mahogany sounds - nice and mellow which seems to suit a little guitar for mucking around with.
    The Martin LX1 shouted tone and had a really good feel from playing it. Really surprising for the size. But for me the neck wasn't as playable as the Taylor Baby (I like thin necks) and it was a lot more cash due to the Taylor Baby being second-hand. I was very close to stretching to it though.
    The Martin LXKM was really nice but I preferred the sounds of the Taylor Baby and LX1.

So I ended up with the second hand Taylor Baby which I'm chuffed with. Merry Christmas to me!! As being easy and fun to play is probably more important than that little tone edge the Martin may of had (which could have been due to the Taylor needing  a change of strings anyway).

I was really surprised there was such a range in the shop. There was even one other brand I can't even remember which was about par with the Sigmas.

Hope this helps someone doing a similar forum and guitar search in the future! 

• Gretsch Jim Dandy? Good VFM
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself