Les Pauls and balance

What's Hot
Further to my last thread (likening guitar purchasing to cameras) I spent lunchtime today trying out Les Pauls in a shop, both Epiphone and Gibson models. 

With the Gibsons (and possibly the Epiphones too but I'd put them down by this stage) all the models I tried were "bottom heavy" in that when I played sitting down, the neck wanted to lift up. (I tried a Traditional, a Standard and a Custom shop). 

Is this an inherent part of the design? If so, as a sitting down player (at home, usually trying to follow a book or video lesson) I wonder whether LPs are right for me, or is it something one just gets used to?

Would be grateful for any thoughts.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    Which leg was it resting on? (Probably the right if your common). I think you'll become accustomed to a LP style if that's your only comfort issue.

• Yes they do tend to want to slither away and sit on the floor beside you.   (I thought that was just my playing though)

Also, if you're seated with it on your right leg (and you're right handed) the upper fret access gets more contorted, I tend to push the neck outwards away from me a little to compensate.  Put it on your left leg and it all works much better, at least for me, but I do both.

On a strap it all works fine.  But get a good (wide) strap.  And watch the weight of the LP if it's not chambered / relieved.  That can be an issue for some people (me included).

Hope that helps a bit.

• ESBlonde said:
    Which leg was it resting on? (Probably the right if your common). I think you'll become accustomed to a LP style if that's your only comfort issue.

Yes, I'm right handed and rested it on my right leg. I am common - my mother always told me so, usually in reference to my table manners. 
  • Its never bothered me, but I've nearly always had an LP as my main guitar so maybe I'm just used to the balance/weight of them.  If you play sat down a lot, maybe a 335 would be more comfortable?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    edited September 2013
    yep -  fuckin awful things when played sat down.............as are most leccy's to be honest.   335s are really uncomfortable cos of the HUGE horrible body.........(standing up and sitting down  :)    )

Cant really play any leccy sat down,  and vicky vervky for acoustic
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • It is a LP trait. I'm a big bloke. They really don't work for me; their 'geometry' is wrong. Both arms fee too far to my right. Bigger guitars (including 335s) work much better for me. Try a 22 fret PRS. You may find that more ergonomic.
  • They're too heavy, the upper fret access is a problem... but once you hear what comes out of the speakers it becomes irrelevant. I tend to play "sideways on" when standing - with the body on my right side... very good for Pagey moves, not so good for my back/neck.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • that seems better than something that can neck dive like an SG or 99% of all basses. My LTD is les paulish in shape but with a thinner/lighter body so that tends to neck dive once you stand up.In retrospect had I bought something with a heavier body, the better balance would have made it more usable.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    They all do it when playing seated.  It's how they balance on the strap, some do neck dive, some don't.  To me the overall weight seems to be much less of an issue if it balances well on a strap.   I've got a 10lb LP which is much better on a strap because it balances, unlike a 7.5Lb SG I have that always wants to point its headstock at the floor!