Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thinking of buying a guitar from USA

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1819
    Neil said:
    They charge you tax on it anyway and then ask you to prove you took it abroad with you.

So you need to take a £20 guitar with you and bring back a nice new one - the airline agrees that you took a guitar with you so HMRC are happy ;-)
    (I'm not really advocating that, it's just interesting that at some point HMRC have to rely on the honesty of the public)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    BigMonka said:
    Neil said:
    They charge you tax on it anyway and then ask you to prove you took it abroad with you.

So you need to take a £20 guitar with you and bring back a nice new one - the airline agrees that you took a guitar with you so HMRC are happy ;-)
    (I'm not really advocating that, it's just interesting that at some point HMRC have to rely on the honesty of the public)

I once worked with someone who used to be a customs officer at Gatwick. He was pretty clued up about Fenders, Gibson's, how the serial numbers worked, etc. So I suspect you couldn't rely necessarily rely on the 'This is the same guitar I took out with me, officer' line.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • thinking on doing the same myself. finding it hard to source the guitar i want here and even in the USA
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    HAL9000 said:
    BigMonka said:
    Neil said:

I once worked with someone who used to be a customs officer at Gatwick. He was pretty clued up about Fenders, Gibson's, how the serial numbers worked, etc. So I suspect you couldn't rely necessarily rely on the 'This is the same guitar I took out with me, officer' line.
    This is correct and if customs even smell a discrepancy and they have no one on hand who knows about that stuff they will get an expert in to check it out and your expensive guitar could be seized.

I have looked at this from all angles over the years and the only avenue I could find where you will save money is to buy a guitar in the US for under £390 and bring it back legally.

With the quandary about whether the crew will put it in their locker for you (before it is dispatched to the hold!) I would break down a Fender and pack the two halves in separate suitcases. Either that or buy a flight case and pay the extra baggage cost.
    Would £390 get you a decent amount more guitar in the US though?
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    BigMonka said:
    Quite a bit more than you would get here.

Generally US guitars are the same price in dollars as we pay in pounds so your £390 would be worth more like £600 in our terms
    Neil;442605" said:
    BigMonka said:

Quite a bit more than you would get here.

Generally US guitars are the same price in dollars as we pay in pounds so your £390 would be worth more like £600 in our terms

Game on that's great news, I'll have to arrange a spending spree "family holiday" to visit my sister :-)
  • if you do it make sure the import duty is on as well , and find out about how much for the shipping , be very careful as i got caught and had to pay import which was near £200 , which after the shipping was a lot of money and only saved £150 on the guitar , be sure you have all the data on board , 
  • EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
    edited December 2014

Neil said:
    I have just bought a guitar from My Generation Guitars in New York.
    I paid £880 for the guitar, shipping was quoted on the ebay site at $550

However when i expressed interest they told me to ignore the ebay shipping cost as many of the guitar shops in the US now get preferentially rates from FedEx

Any hoo, the damage was £880 for the guitar, £115 for five day delivery (insured) and £200 for Import duty, VAT and Fees.

This was a month ago so the prices are current
    So you paid very nearly 50% on top of the guitars price for shipping and taxes?

It's a lot of money but I assume you still got a bargain?

TBH when I have looked at some nice US guitars by the time I add on shipping and tax the saving isn't really worth the hassle.  However there are certainly some older models that are virtually unobtainable in the UK. 
    TBH it was not a bargain, but the guitar is so good. I think i paid 36% on shipping and fees, in all worked out to be a fair price (at least i am happy with it)

You know what they say, " A fool and his money soon party"