Longer delay times from a vintage AD9?

Hey guys, i have a vintageAD9 sitting in my cupboard. I got it cheap a while back but basically never use it as even tho it sounds really warm it only has 300ms of delay time. (i want more like 600ms +). I thought abotu selling to get a more up to date BB delay, but they dont seem to be worth anything on the 2nd hand market, its more expensive to buy a new one haha!

I was wondering if any of you guys knew if it was possible to adjust it internally or mod it in some way to get longer delay times?

It has got 'maxon' printed on the pcb but is in an Ibanez enclosure (i dont know if the pcb's are different in any way).

Cheers
Tom

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I foresee a Maxon AD999 in your future :)

Sorry i don't know about pedal mods.
  • Or a Maxon AD9 Pro.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    You can adjust the clock trim-pot - at least on the Boss DM-2, I don't remember if the AD-9 has one, but I expect it to be so - but first you will only get about 400-450mS max, and secondly the sound quality suffers noticeably, it gets very gritty and grainy… which is why they limit them to 300.

I think the AD-9 Pro goes up to 450mS rather than 600, but does it without the quality loss.

Personally, unless you want it for smooth musical self-oscillation (something only true analogue delays seem to do really well) I'd probably get a digital with an analogue emulation setting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    @icbm do you know of any examples of that oscillation? Dont know that I've heard it before!
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    Not sure I can think of any on record, but there must be some!

I used to play a solo using my DM-2… hit a sustained note, whack the feedback up full, then twiddle the delay time control :). With practice you can actually play tunes on it :D.

The problem with most of the digital ones I've tried with analogue emulation (eg DD-7) is that instead of changing smoothly, the delay time jumps in small steps - barely noticeable normally, but when the pedal is self-oscillating it makes the sound glitchy and robotic instead of sweepy and Dr.Who-like.

The old DD-2/DD-3 does change smoothly, but it won't self-oscillate properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thanks for the thoughts guys! I opened it up and got tweaking the trim pots. Pretty ace results, i love how gritty it gets :)