Where to buy plain foam sheets to cut and shape, to hold pedals

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
edited December 2014 in FX
I have the Boss BCB60 and Behringer PB1000 pedal cases, that hold standard Boss size compact pedals nicely in place via a shaped foam surround.  However, you have to cut/shape these for larger pedals, and the standard size 'fitting' is too large for my newly acquired MXR noiseclamp which is smaller than a standard compact pedal.

So, I'd like to buy some similar grey/black foam sheets that I can cut to fit, without ruining the supplied foam fittings with either unit (just in case I ever want to sell these on).  The foam is fairly stiff, and 1/4" thick.  Does anyone know where I can buy this type of foam sheeting from?               

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    local fabric store maybe? DunElm sort of places?

Foam can be surprisingly expensive
  • I have this foam supplier bookmarked. Anything suitable there?
  • Old fashioned hardware store (if you still have any near year)

Fabric shop/interiors place (used for seat cushions etc).

My wife's an interior designer so I've have a decent supply of this sort of thing in the past.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    I got some the other day from dunelm. Big sheet for 6 quid
  • The rag market in Birmingham, there is a foam store. Although may just be the yellow stuff for seat cushions. Not uncommon in places like big indoor markets. There is at least one person selling the black egg box type black acoustic foam on eBay. I don't really see why you need acoustic foam for a pedal case other than it looks more rock'n'roll than something made from an old sofa cushion.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922

Try getting the thinnest camping mat you can find. They're pretty high density foam. I would have thought all the craft stuff you can buy from Hobby Craft etc will be lower density, and thus floppier.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    You can get the spare sheets direct from Roland http://shop.roland.co.uk/c/spare-parts_other, I got a complete spare set from them.  Easy.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    gusman2x;439719" said:
    Try getting the thinnest camping mat you can find. They're pretty high density foam. I would have thought all the craft stuff you can buy from Hobby Craft etc will be lower density, and thus floppier.
    That's a great idea!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited December 2014
    Great input guys thank you all. @Richardj- special thanks, as I didn't know Boss sold these, and at only £1.39 per square the Boss replacement pads will be pre cut to slot in easily and are the perfect solution.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)