Playing an electric through an acoustic amp?

WolftoneWolftone Frets: 85
edited September 2013 in Guitar
I just bought a fantastic Tanglwood T6 acoustic amp as I play round the old folks homes and want something small and light but produces a quality sound.

If I wanted to plug a humbucked passive electric guitar into it, would it be damaged? I know that it's potentially a daft question as I cannot think of anything that could damage it but what about pickup impedences and suchlike?

Btw, if you didn't spot it already, I'm a bit of a ignoramus on electrical stuff....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72831
    edited September 2013
    It will work OK, the pickup impedance isn't an issue. At low volume and clean it will be fine. Be careful at high volume and/or with overdrive/distortion - there is a risk of damage since acoustic amps aren't designed for the stress of being pushed hard (since they never will be with an acoustic guitar) and if it has a tweeter, any distortion could blow it as well as sounding awful.

If you want dirty tones of any sort you'll be better off with some sort of amp simulator (eg Pocket Pod) than a normal overdrive pedal although something like the Bad Monkey with a simple 'Mixer' output would work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I'd be surprised if it sounded any good at all, for clean or dirty sounds. But an amp sim should sort that out.