So, you want an endorsement deal, right?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31150
edited December 2014 in Off Topic

I'm a lucky boy that even at my venerable old age I'm given more cricket gear than I could ever use.

Due to a personal friendship, I use TNF Cricket Gear, from Melbourne.

This is a screenshot of a text from the MD of TNF......in response to such a sponsorship request.....

Hilarious...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Great way to get a future sponsor on side...........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Well, I think Jack's just a busy chap with not much time for pissing about really. He'll get there in the end.

Or somewhere.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • He should just send him a complimentary dictionary
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    He should just send him a complimentary dictionary

or Theasaurus..........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Having spoken to a number of people in the music gear industry, it's quite amazing how many folk simply don't get the fundamentals of endorsement, the chief one being "If you're unknown, you're not getting free shit".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscream;440597" said:
    it's quite amazing how many folk simply don't get the fundamentals of endorsement, the chief one being "If you're unknown, you're not getting free shit".
    I'm not sure that's true with every maker. I know two people who play Knaggs guitars who are little known but are endorsees.

I've never asked whether any money changed hands - but I'd be surprised if it did.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27087
    edited December 2014
    digitalscream;440597" said:
    it's quite amazing how many folk simply don't get the fundamentals of endorsement, the chief one being "If you're unknown, you're not getting free shit".
    I'm not sure that's true with every maker. I know two people who play Knaggs guitars who are little known but are endorsees.

I've never asked whether any money changed hands - but I'd be surprised if it did.
    It's almost always true - I'd be surprised if they got any free instruments out of it. Discounted, maybe, but generally it's only the top-tier endorsees who get free stuff.

Most manufacturers have three tiers -  roughly speaking, Tier 1 (free stuff, lots of promotion etc), Tier 2 (up to 50% discount, priority support, some promotion), Tier 3 (up to 30% discount, somebody to talk to, little bit of promotion if they do anything of note).

To go right in at Tier 1, you'd probably have to be selling a few hundred thousand albums a year (or equivalent).

For the record...I've found that the correct way to approach somebody for an endorsement is to tell them you already use their gear and you're going to continue using it whether you get an endorsement deal or not, but you think there's an opportunity for cross-promotion. I can't see any other situation where I'd be comfortable with it, ethically-speaking; pretty much anything else is just being a gear whore.
    <space for hire>
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Having spoken to a number of people in the music gear industry, it's quite amazing how many folk simply don't get the fundamentals of endorsement, the chief one being "If you're unknown, you're not getting free shit".

endorsees generally don't get anything free.. they usually get things like an artist discount, and / or tend to jump the queue for purchases / repairs.. also, these deals tend to allow you to use gear of the same type by other manufacturers..

sponsorships are where they give you everything, and generally the list of can / cannot do's are a little more restrictive [depending of course on the agreement / contract]..

play every note as if it were your first
  • I was a Blackstar Endorsee in a former life... They were very generous. Got one free amp, a fairly huge discount on an Artisan 30 head, an indefinite loan on a cab, plus an extra cab and Artisan 30H plus some pedals on loan for a month long Euro tour. Even got my name in their catalogue! ha.
  • GavHaus said:
    I was a Blackstar Endorsee in a former life... They were very generous. Got one free amp, a fairly huge discount on an Artisan 30 head, an indefinite loan on a cab, plus an extra cab and Artisan 30H plus some pedals on loan for a month long Euro tour. Even got my name in their catalogue! ha.
    What happened, if you don't mind me asking?

I was a Jet City endorsee for a year or two...foolishly handed it back when I left the band. Got a few cheap amps and a lot of great support out of it.
    <space for hire>
  • ha, well.... The band split... also, there was a falling out about a "temporary relocation" of the indefinite loan cab! temporary madness on my part... essentially they gave me the cab....but then get a little peeved when I tried to sell it on ebay when skint! Can totally see their point! the things you do when you're young eh? If you cant trust an impoverish musician, who can you trust? etc etc.

Still use an Artisan 30 though. lovely amp. They were all really nice at Blackstar to be fair, but then, they approached me for an endorsement, not the other way round so I guess that figures.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    haha, tell them to do what the girl on twitter did,

Go on his Friends, find his Mother, and show her
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    Gassage said:

I'm a lucky boy that even at my venerable old age I'm given more cricket gear than I could ever use.

Due to a personal friendship, I use TNF Cricket Gear, from Melbourne.

This is a screenshot of a text from the MD of TNF......in response to such a sponsorship request.....

Hilarious...
    Nice bit of friendly banter as an opener?