History of the Eagles video

What's Hot
Just watched what I guess is "part one" on Netflix, covering up to the big break up after "The Long Run" which led to a 14 year hiatus.  Interesting film, even though I've never been an Eagles fanatic, they've been a kind of part of my life through certain songs and guitar in general.  Some great live footage with Joe Walsh playing "Hotel California" and lots of great quotes all around.  "Hotel California" was the only Eagles album I ever owned but at numerous jam sessions over the years many of their songs were present.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    If that's the same as the one that was shown on the BBC while back, it's fantastic. There's a huge amount of insight into them and the music. I was a big fan back in the late 70s/early 80s, although I admit to not being since Hell Freezes Over. It's not the same without Felder.

The highlight for me was Joe Walsh playing 'Life In The Fast Lane' on an acoustic 12-string and have it somehow sound exactly like the record :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    ICBM said:

The highlight for me was Joe Walsh playing 'Life In The Fast Lane' on an acoustic 12-string and have it somehow sound exactly like the record :D.
    Yeah, those guys can do those kind of things.  Talent is a word that falls way short of describing musicians like Joe Walsh.  I saw a TV program where Slash played one of the GNR songs on an acoustic guitar [it might have been Paradise City] and he nailed it.  A friend sent me a link to a show in Maxx where Slash on acoustic and another acoustic player sang all of SCOM exactly as per the record.  Awesome.  I honestly did not think it possible.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    Joe Walsh is a legend and that Eagles doc is fantastic.

What a nasty shite Glen Frey is though. Or was it Don Henley. Maybe both.

Agree that without Felder, they lost a lot.  I'm not a huge fan but when I'm sozzled, they are a great singalong band.
    Chuffola said:
    What a nasty shite Glen Frey is though. Or was it Don Henley. Maybe both.
    Frey. Henley wasn't quite as bad, I didn't think.

I nearly fell off my seat when Frey said "I wasn't the asshole in the Eagles"… yes you most certainly were!

Without Felder they just sound like a second-rate country-rock band, to me - regardless of the talent of Walsh and Henley. I'm not even sure why since in some way he was the least important member (although he did write the music for Hotel California), but he obviously had a much larger influence than it appeared.

Maybe just to keep Frey's ego in check, I'm not sure :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    Been a while since I watched it, but you're right.  Henley was fine, thinking about it now.

Still, a great band for a documentary - up there with Fleetwood Mac in that regard.

And Joe Walsh just makes me smile whenever I see him play or talk. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    ICBM said:

Frey. Henley wasn't quite as bad, I didn't think.

I nearly fell off my seat when Frey said "I wasn't the asshole in the Eagles"… yes you most certainly were!
    I remember Frey saying something about the reunion tour, how he and Henley needed to be paid more because, well, because they DESERVED it, and how Felder was an idiot because he kept focussing on how much money he was getting paid. The hypocrisy and self-delusion in his statement just left me weeping with laughter. A complete asshole. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Having seen it I can completely understand how the original "when hell freezes over" incident - in which Felder allegedly tried to kill Frey with a Les Paul aimed at his head - came about.

Quite surprised to see Bernie Leadon back with them too given that he left in a similar fashion - although with a beer rather than a guitar, I think. Possibly he should have used his Telecaster.

:)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Having seen it I can completely understand how the original "when hell freezes over" incident - in which Felder allegedly tried to kill Frey with a Les Paul aimed at his head - came about.

Quite surprised to see Bernie Leadon back with them too given that he left in a similar fashion - although with a beer rather than a guitar, I think. Possibly he should have used his Telecaster.

:)

Maybe, but the solid maple body of the Les Paul would have been deadlier had he been a good shot.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

Maybe, but the solid maple body of the Les Paul would have been deadlier had he been a good shot.
    No, the Les Paul has so much inertia that it takes too long to accelerate to a lethal speed and gives the target time to get out of the way - a Tele is lighter and faster. He knew what he was doing, did Leo.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    No, the Les Paul has so much inertia that it takes too long to accelerate to a lethal speed and gives the target time to get out of the way - a Tele is lighter and faster. He knew what he was doing, did Leo.
    Yeah, I get that, maybe an SG would have been the ticket.