decent android box?

Just a quick one, I'm looking for an android box to make a TV a smart(er) TV. It's for my daughter's room, so doesn't have to be all the best, just reliable.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Does she have any other Android devices - phone or tablet?
    Because if so you can't go wrong with a Chromecast.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited December 2014
    Yeah phone and tablet, will take a look, cheers.
  • Does she have any other Android devices - phone or tablet?
    Because if so you can't go wrong with a Chromecast.
    you can absolutely go wrong with the Chromecast; I like it don't get me wrong I have it plugged into a HDMI projector that also has a USB so no external power needed and I get on with it fine... BUT the system can be a bit temperamental which sometimes leads to device reboots.. and for the £18 I paid I will still stand by it but not for kids because A) its a paid for them to sort out so it won't used or B) they cannot sort it out so have to call on parent which will in the end be a pain so will not get used...

which streaming services do you require @underdog
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Streaming music and films from pc and YouTube, bbciplayer apps were what I was after really.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

I have a cheapo Android tab with HDMI out that my daughter uses for what you describe. I'm just about to shell out on a hudl2 (only cos Skype won't work on the old tab) for the same purpose. She either plugs it into her telly in her room or walks around the house with it

For myself I have a Raspberry Pi running RaspBMC which has served me well for media streaming, but it has no YouTube / iPlayer that I know of

All practice and no theory
  • I've never had any problems such as device reboots with Chromecast. We've got two of them and never had a problem. We use them for streaming music, YouTube, iPlayer, Google Movies, Netflix etc.

Before that I did have one of those inexpensive (but still more expensive than Chromecast) Android sticks. What a complete pain in the arse that was. Terrible wifi, overheating, slow, lack of memory. 

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."