From Bedrooms To Millions

What's Hot
Anyone contribute to that Kickstarter? I watched it the other night after receiving my download copy. It's pretty cool if you're interested in gaming.

Cool starrrfff!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Looks awesome, ta.

Saw a documentary about indie game devs recently - the name escapes me but it was about the dudes who did Meat Boy and Fez and a couple of other 'big' indie games - excellent watch highly recommended

All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    I'd forgotten about that. Will download it and watch over Christmas.

I've worked with quite a few of the people that are in it.
    Am still working with 1 of them, although he'll be the first to point out he never made a million :)
    <when_I_were_a_lad/>
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1021
    edited December 2014
    thanks for the heads up Drew_fx.will definitely buy the film at some point as i love gaming (had a c64 for xmas present in 1988,my first computer).

it came with a pirated tape of both bruce lee (bloody class game) and suicide express.

also came with starrion a wire framed space shoot em up.

also came with the secret diary of adrian mole text adventure game and some type of synth software (with a piano keyboard you placed over the c64).

good times :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• 2 of my band are indie game developers. show the love at http://www.xmptgames.co.uk/ if you're into the scene. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    My daughter's boyfriend is a games tester. Dream job for a slobby geek who never leaves the house, stays up all night, lives on pizza and energy drinks and doesn't get up before 2pm.

Bitter? Me??? :-S
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    boogieman said:
    My daughter's boyfriend is a games tester. Dream job for a slobby geek who never leaves the house, stays up all night, lives on pizza and energy drinks and doesn't get up before 2pm.

Bitter? Me??? :-S
    It might sound good, but I'm sure that lifestyle isn't very fulfilling.
    My V key is broken
    Nah I'm not bitter about his job @Holnrew, more the fact my daughter got involved with him. He's called The Waste of Sperm in our house. :(
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    boogieman;442626" said:
    Nah I'm not bitter about his job @Holnrew, more the fact my daughter got involved with him. He's called The Waste of Sperm in our house. :(
    Ah that's understandable. I'm guessing she hasn't heard I'm available now too.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    We don't call testers "Button Monkeys", no, we definitely don't do that.
    Although if he doesn't ever leave the house he can't be that good? We keep ours locked in the basement for a good 12 hours a day. Obviously we push some pizza under the door every now and then, we're not barbarians.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    holnrew;442644" said:

Ah that's understandable. I'm guessing she hasn't heard I'm available now too.
    You get a lol for that.

Umm, actually you're probably a better proposition than him though.

Hey, we could talk about guitars too.

Welcome to the family son !
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited December 2014
    boogieman said:
    That's a fucking horrible way to talk about anyone, let alone your daughters boyfriend, who might possibly end up being her husband. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

As for games testing, and testing in general, it's a difficult job. Don't belittle it. It requires levels of meticulousness that most people don't even realize. You have to be able to not only follow instructions methodically, but also think outside of the box in order to try and break whatever it is you're testing.

Games testers are underpaid and overworked, because the games industry does not support their ground troops very well. Because QA and testing is a cost, and most simple minded fools don't see the long term benefit.

You need to educate yourself on exactly what is involved in games testing, because right now you're sounding utterly pig ignorant.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Drew_fx said:
    boogieman said:
    That's a fucking horrible way to talk about anyone, let alone your daughters boyfriend, who might possibly end up being her husband. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

As for games testing, and testing in general, it's a difficult job. Don't belittle it. It requires levels of meticulousness that most people don't even realize. You have to be able to not only follow instructions methodically, but also think outside of the box in order to try and break whatever it is you're testing.

Games testers are unpaid and overworked, because the games industry does not support their ground troops very well. Because QA and testing is a cost, and most simple minded fools don't see the long term benefit.

You need to educate yourself on exactly what is involved in games testing, because right now you're sounding utterly pig ignorant.

It's a rule that fathers are allowed to hate their daughters' boyfriends, and they can pick any reason they want. My daughter's only 9, but I hate all the boyfriends she hasn't had yet, for reasons I haven't yet decided.

It's also a rule that people who don't have kids aren't allowed an opinion on parenting.

I have a copy of the rules if you want. I wrote it myself. It's £999.99. Cash only.

All practice and no theory
    Yeah because you've met him and know everything about him eh Drew?
    edited December 2014
    boogieman said:
    I am a QA manager for a company, and have been a tester for the last 6 years. I know about that side of things. I never made a claim about him anyway, I made a claim about you - acting like a self righteous prick because you don't like the guy.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12459
    It must be tough on the games testing frontline, incredibly pressured life and death shit.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It must be tough on the games testing frontline, incredibly pressured life and death shit.
    Again.... educate yourself: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/03/29/the-tough-life-of-a-games-tester
    Drew_fx;442695" said:
    boogieman said:

I am a QA manager for a company, and have been a tester for the last 6 years. I know about that side of things. I never made a claim about him anyway, I made a claim about you - acting like a self righteous prick because you don't like the guy.
    Yeah I don't like him, you guessed. You're assuming an awful lot here though aren't you, especially as you have no knowledge of how he treats my daughter. Still, never mind, he's a games tester, must be ok then? Just back to your little assumptions eh?

edited December 2014
    boogieman said:Yeah I don't like him, you guessed. You're assuming an awful lot here though aren't you, especially as you have no knowledge of how he treats my daughter. Still, never mind, he's a games tester, must be ok then? Just back to your little assumptions eh? 

Oh jesus christ.. it really isn't rocket science.
     I've made NO assumptions. I'm only working on the information you provided - and that was that he was a games tester living a lifestyle that you didn't like. You used his job as a means to belittle him and THAT is what I found pig ignorant. If you want to hate on him because of the way he treats your daughter, then just say that. Don't resort to shitty Orwellian language.

I never said he was okay. I never made any claim about his character. It's not him I am defending.
    @Drew_fx To be fair I was playing up the stereotype a bit there.
    There are a lot of "stereotypical" testers though but they tend not to last that long.
    We have QA that have been with us for 10+ years, they're the smart ones who can actually test. As opposed to being "good at games".
    And yes, it is a hard job and underpaid but that's probably something to do with supply and demand.
    I know our embedded QA are well looked after*. The ones in FPQA not so much but then again there's a lot more of the "stereotypical" ones there.
    </furious_back_peddling/> :)

*sometimes we let them choose their own toppings.

Also there is a rule that programmers have to behave as if all the other disciplines in the games industry are "lesser" :)
    Don't get me started on "Designers"...
    @FX_Munkee I'm not anti-humour ;)