Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When people don't research their brand name.

What's Hot

Comments

• I'm not seeing the issue...can you explain?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can believe it.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5191
    Moe. 1488. For people that think the edl are too left wing.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3452
    edited December 2014
    I had to google it just now. I had no idea and I imagine 99.9% of the population would be the same...
    14 is fourteen words. 88 is heil hitler.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Went over my head too.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3452
    edited December 2014
    Seems this has Tullibardine whiskey in it. Distillery established in 1488.

Personay I'd say if you have to google it to get the obscure reference via urban dictionary, I wouldn't be worrying too much from a branding perspective.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    to be fair its a balanced brew 1488 = white power but the ale is called the black wolf so........ 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seems this has Tullibardine whiskey in it. Distillery established in 1488.

Personay I'd say if you have to google it to get the obscure reference via urban dictionary, I wouldn't be worrying too much from a branding perspective.
    wis. way too obscure to be bothered with.

BTW ICL 1900 programs used to end the the halt code HH which a lot of people interpreted as Happy Harry, meaning a successful run. However one bloke I worked with said that in ICL 6bit 1900 character code, 'H' was 50 in octal. So, 50/50 - the chance that it actually worked ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    I had to google it just now. I had no idea and I imagine 99.9% of the population would be the same…
    Same here - no idea at all. I suspect you'd already have to be interested in that sort of thing.

You can probably find similar numerology bullshit for plenty of other dates if you look hard enough or already know what they're supposed to "mean".

thorpy6 said:
    to be fair its a balanced brew 1488 = white power but the ale is called the black wolf so...
    I thought it was going to be something about the 'black' as well, but couldn't work it out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1615
    clutching at straws... Google anything enough and there'll be another 'meaning' :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    Seems this has Tullibardine whiskey in it. Distillery established in 1488.

wis. way too obscure to be bothered with.

BTW ICL 1900 programs used to end the the halt code HH which a lot of people interpreted as Happy Harry, meaning a successful run. However one bloke I worked with said that in ICL 6bit 1900 character code, 'H' was 50 in octal. So, 50/50 - the chance that it actually worked ;)

Back in the day I operated and ICL 1900 then the duper duper 2900, the HH = 50/50 chance rumour persisted in British Leyland :-)
    I should point out that I noticed it as someone in fb had commented on a picture of a neo nazi drinking one. It is a fairly well known thing, especially in the us. Anyone with the discovery channels is bound to have seen a couple of documentaries on wp prison gangs.
    Presumably people here know what c18 means?
  • 88 and 1488 I know as common references on TV shows mentioning white supremacists, usually as tattoos ( quite a few on Google images). Not sure it would be the first thing that came to mind seeing that ale though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I'm never drinking Kronenbourg again now I know their Brewery is next door to Satan's House.

1 = "Them" (Number One)

664 = The Neighbour of the Beast.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend said:
    Presumably people here know what c18 means?

Presumably some people do - presumably others don't.

I'm the latter. Unless you mean "G81" which is a person who tries to make themselves look comparatively clever by acting like really obscure information should be known by anyone to make everyone else feel stupid.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    edited December 2014
    Of course I know what 1488 is.  Duh. 

It's the year when Ch'oe Pu (1454–1504), the Korean Commissioner of Registers for the island of Cheju, was shipwrecked on the southeast coast of China in Taizhou, Zhejiang, during the Ming Dynasty, following which he and his crew were hosted by Chinese military courier officers to travel along the Grand Canal of China, all the way to Beijing, and then finally back across the Yalu River into Korea.

Everyone knows that his written commentary on Chinese customs, foreign and domestic trade, and transport in places such as Hangzhou and Suzhou are valuable records of Ming era culture and commerce.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I can only conclude that I must have been living under a rock for many years, as it meant nothing to me. 

Conspiracy theorists, sign here......

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15879
    think I've also been living under a rock (though clearly a much better class of to chilli) as I've never heard of that and would never have got it in a million years and I'm pretty happy in that ignorance.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.