Boss Blues Driver

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
I know it's an old pedal but what are people's thoughts on it? Is it worth spending the extra for the Waza version? 

I must confess in 25 years of playing I've never used one but they have been around for a while so they must be pretty good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Personally I don't like them, don't let that put you off, it may work brilliantly for you, and your set-up.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    It tends to be a bit of a Marmite pedal. Many people like it but I didn't. I had a stock one and one with a Monte Allums H2O mod and didn't like either. I found it to be a very bright pedal with limited tonal range and a weird sputtering sound on the note decay.Very, dynamic though. The OD3 adds a bit more warmth into the mix and matches the BD-2 for dynamics. I think it's one of those pedals that you really need to try with your own set-up.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

Love the pedal, great pedal, the Keeley version is really what the pedal should be, I believe the Waza is pretty much the Keeley version, so really what the BD2 should be.

Value for money the BD2 is superb, use the Keeley (and I guess Waza version) and you can't go back to the stock one. it's a shame the stock one does not have these minor upgrades that make it an exceptional pedal without a stupid price tag

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I think there are a few if us onthe boards with the cheaper Digitech Screamin Blues, an SB 'tribute'.

I like the BD style of drive. I use it for getting drive sounds through an amp set clean. I always have it near or at full on. Full tilt it's more of a distortion pedal.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    I much prefer the Screamin' Blues.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6183
    I'm with @Beexter, I tried to like it.. and convince myself that it what I wanted.. even add Monte Allum's mod... but in the end was not convinced and sold it on.  And I haven't missed it. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • I like the BD2, the brightness suits the sound i'm after. The only thing I don't like is the fizzy sound it makes when I pick strings, but the OD3 doesn't do this - so it's my OD pedal of choice at the moment.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17681
    tFB Trader
    I find the BD-2 a bit harsh sounding and it's more like a lowish gain distortion than a bluesy overdrive. I haven't tried the Waza or Keeley variants.

As others have said the OD-3 is much better IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I find the BD-2 a bit harsh sounding and it's more like a lowish gain distortion than a bluesy overdrive. I haven't tried the Waza or Keeley variants.

As others have said the OD-3 is much better IMO.
    All of this.

Also, the Screamin' Blues.  Definitely a fatter sounding pedal that gets into distortion territory, like the BD-2 for gain levels. 

But the OD-3 is genuinely one of the best OD pedals I've heard, against some proper monster ones.  I've yet to try the MXR Badass OD, though.  I really want to hear the Nobels ODR, too. 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    As the guy above said Its more of a low gain distortion than an OD. I took it off my board because I had a rat and I felt like I didnt need both.

Its cool though.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    ICBM said:
    You beats me to it! I was gonna say that....and its half the price to! Agree with the poster that said they prefer the OD-3 as I do to! IF your wanting a blue OD pedal the Screaming Blues and save the £s..otherwise get thee an OD-3 or if you like a bit more smoothness the Dano TOD..mk 1 version.
  • Worst .. pedal...ever.
    a) very harsh sounding
    b) guitarists think it must sound bluesy cause it says Blues on it but it just sounds harsh. Middle aged white guy pub blues players ( who I don't resemble at all...) I'm talking about you !
    d) I do know a semi pro who uses one through his big Diezel (spll?) rig but just as a clean boost basically.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Worst .. pedal...ever.
    a) very harsh sounding
    b) guitarists think it must sound bluesy cause it says Blues on it but it just sounds harsh. Middle aged white guy pub blues players ( who I don't resemble at all...) I'm talking about you !
    d) I do know a semi pro who uses one through his big Diezel (spll?) rig but just as a clean boost basically.

I think John Mayer uses on too
  • shaunm;443045" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Worst .. pedal...ever.

a) very harsh sounding

I think John Mayer uses on too
    Going back to my Diezel guy I think it's fine used for a bit of boost and colour but using it as a distortion is probably a bad idea and I can't see Mr Mayer using one as his main source of distortion for those sophisticated blues.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2372
    ICBM said:
    I was just going to say, if you want to see what it's like, get a screamin' blues for around £20 (new). Far as I'm aware, it's a glorified BD2, as you implied. Never tried the two head-to-head, but I got to try the hot head and ds1 head to head (hot head is allegedly a glorified DS1) and they were very, very close. Close enough that I'd suspect the same is true for the screamin' blues...
    siraxeman said:
    ICBM said:
    You beats me to it! I was gonna say that....and its half the price to!
    More like a third of the price. :))
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Next time I'm guitar shopping I'll have to try the BD.

There are plenty of YT vids cmparing the two head to head.

The Screamin Blues can get a bit fizzy/ tinny with the gain full up but you've got a 2 band eq plus your guitar's tone controls.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2372
    ^ Yeah I've heard several people say the SB might be slightly tinnier/harsher sounding than the Boss. Based on the DS1 versus the Hot Head that might well be true- but as you said, you have extra features on the SB (plus it's a lot less money too).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    The massive advantage of the Digitech pedals over the equivalent Boss ones is the two-band EQ - makes it easier to dial in a good tone.

The mixer output could be handy in an emergency too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think the BD-2 is a little "Fender amp" voiced, i.e. scooped. I thought it would be a good alternative to my OD-1 which is more mid-rangey. However I never found it worked well with my Vox AC15, it was just too different to the amp's tone to "mesh", especially when I used it in combination with a bit of the amp's overdrive. Did the Monte Allums mods and eventually sold it.