What's Hot
2»

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6237
    edited December 2014

sinbaadi said:
    axisus said:
    sinbaadi said:
    .......  It's like a poem with a lot of intellectually challenging but incredibly poorly-chosen words. 
    Not at all, it's like someone reading Shakespeare but you prefer Enid Blyton.
    Ouch :)
    This isn't Shakespeare.  This is the work of a play-write from the time that nobody remembers, because unlike Shakespeare his work was devoid of coherent plot or character development (nevermind story-telling on Shakespeare's level), and as such totally lacking in emotional connection or human-interest.  It was line after line of fancy words and grammatical tricks and embellishments.

For me it is as I say.  It just doesn't work, there's nothing fundamentally appealing to the music he's making, and so whilst I appreciate the skill of it, I dislike it.  The amount of skill and effort which is going into creating something completely (unless you count the random scales individually as such) without melody or tune is mind-boggling.
    Now.. to me there is both  great melody in the main theme and completely non-random scales being used in the fast solos. I hear a wonderful interplay of different modes drawn from a broad range of musical influences. It all works together coherently and beautifully. Of course one man's wine is another man's vinegar, but your suggestion that is Krantz just playing random notes is nonsensical. 

I believe your arguments may be similar to a  that of a classical musician who when exposed to bebop for the first time believes that  just random notes are being played because having no exposure to jazz, the musician has no frame of reference outside of their own traditional learning.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There are a few things in it I like, but as a solo, it's just a bit boring. 

Despite all of that cleverness.

Makes me think of the free jazz thread, except this is miles more coherent than that!
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    edited December 2014
    Each to their own. At least it has technical merit. Some folk here even claim artistic and technical merit on behalf of plank prankster Derek Bailey: