Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New TV - Advice sought

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• We got a regular 1080p 2D, flat, dumb, LED Sony 18 months ago. Dropping all that modern shit meant we could go to 55" for the price of a clever 3D 40" from Samsung or LG. We also picked up a low-end Harman Kardon/JBL 5.1 setup and it's fantastic.

The whole lot combined is awesome. We get smart stuff via ps3, but mostly use DLNA or AppleTV airplay to watch downloaded stuff, and the 5.1 is brilliant for gaming and music, though tbh I wouldn't care about it if I only watched TV and movies.

There's almost zero 4K content available so that's a total waste of money imo. In another 5 years then maybe, but you could probably buy a nice big 1080p now and a nice big 4k in 5 years time for less money than just the same 4K no, plus you get the added flexibility of not having to if you don't want.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11522
    astboy said:
    I wouldn't bother with 4k, it's a gimmick unless you have money to burn. Look at it this way, even HD (1080p) broadcasts aren't even the norm except a few domestic channels on Freeview. If you want it on Sky / Virgin you have to pay extra for it!
    The "HD" channels on Virgin are still broadcast in 720p AFAIK, so you aren't even getting 1080p for regular TV at the moment.  I don't know whether that is Virgin saving bandwidth, or what the broadcaster is transmitting in.  I'm not sure there will be the bandwidth in the radio spectrum for hundreds of channels to be broadcast in 4k over normal TV or satellite.  Either way 4k is years (possibly decades) off for regular TV.

Unlike Sky, Virgin do chuck the "HD" channels in for free with the large TV package though.

There doesn't seem to be a 4k equivalent of Blu Ray so the only use you will get for 4k in the near future is streaming.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11522
    Just had another thought.  I recently bought a TV for £350 that would have cost about £1200 for an equivalent screen five years ago, and it would not have had some of the functionality either.  Rather than buy one for ten years you'll save money long term by buying a cheaper one now that does 1080, and buying another one in 5 years time when 4k can be had for 30% of the current price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I would recommend a Samsung. Always at or near the top of the pile with regards to picture quality and the Smart functions are way ahead of any one else and simple to use.

I would also recommend John Lewis will usually price match and you get a free 5 year warranty.

• fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    crunchman said:
    astboy said:
    I wouldn't bother with 4k, it's a gimmick unless you have money to burn. Look at it this way, even HD (1080p) broadcasts aren't even the norm except a few domestic channels on Freeview. If you want it on Sky / Virgin you have to pay extra for it!
    The "HD" channels on Virgin are still broadcast in 720p AFAIK, so you aren't even getting 1080p for regular TV at the moment.  I don't know whether that is Virgin saving bandwidth, or what the broadcaster is transmitting in.  I'm not sure there will be the bandwidth in the radio spectrum for hundreds of channels to be broadcast in 4k over normal TV or satellite.  Either way 4k is years (possibly decades) off for regular TV.

Unlike Sky, Virgin do chuck the "HD" channels in for free with the large TV package though.

There doesn't seem to be a 4k equivalent of Blu Ray so the only use you will get for 4k in the near future is streaming.

Not just Virgin but also Now TV is 720p as well, however, the pic is better then standard def but as has already been said numerous times, 4k broadcasting is an age away. 

I think with true 4K Blu Ray players the manufacturers are working on the players and anticipating launches around the end of next year. What's the bets they'll be seriously expensive to start with and some smart arse manufacturer is going to try and launch another format which means like VHS / Beta and Blu Ray / HD there will be another bun fight on the format standard for that as well. 
  • if OP is wanting NowTV on a smart TV then there is only one brand choice at the mo, LG.. tis one of the reasons I chose LG because they have Netlix, Prime and NowTV.. plus in my testing the LG os was slicker and quicker than t'others... PQ wise I couldn't tell much other than by default Sony over dynamic contrast everything and Samsung decided ramping up the backlight is best but all that can be changed in settings..

I have had my current LG smart a year now and I rate it, the eco setting works well as does auto brightness, the dedicated game mode is superb and the motion processing engine is one of the best I have known.

I would say stick to a main brand and go for the features/apps you want, you can never judge a TV by in store PQ
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    WebOS is a big selling point for LG.
    My V key is broken
  • I'll also go out on a limb and suggest you hang around for colour TV - whilst it's maybe a bit of a gimmick, it does make watching snooker a lot easier.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Blimey, chaps... what a rich source of expertise is to be found on this forum!!

Many thanks for all your input. I'm still confused... but now I'm sort of a 'better-informed confused'!

Bit more research required on my part now.  Have felt the market was railroading me into 3D (which I don't want)... and 4K (which I wasn't sure about... unless the upscaling was worthwhile... but no one here seems to think it is worth the bother / cost at the moment).  Looking at John Lewis's website... the majority of 55" sets are 3D (and an ever-increasing number appear to be 4K) - so I may have to look elsewhere.

Thanks again... and if you've got any more advice, I'm all ears.

• Richer Sounds are now offering free 5 year warranties.
    If you spend over a grand they also do free installation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMoose;446629" said:
    I'll also go out on a limb and suggest you hang around for colour TV - whilst it's maybe a bit of a gimmick, it does make watching snooker a lot easier.
    Apparently the new 625 line sets are better than the current 405 line ones.

I just wish there was a better way of adjusting the vertical hold that twatting the top of it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Apparently the new 625 line sets are better than the current 405 line ones.

I just wish there was a better way of adjusting the vertical hold that twatting the top of it.
    There is. You take the back cover off and poke around, preferably with some of those glass things with metal caps and wires on the top.

Then when you wake up, not only is the vertical hold fixed, but you can see in colour!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein