Pedal board Velcro and mods help

nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
Hey,
I'm about to do some mods to a rather beat up Diago Tourman board and wanted to know if anyone can point me in the right direction!

I'm going to be inserting a  plywood panel inside the board so that it is slightly angled and allow for the cables to be kept hidden underneath.  This will also raise the pedals just enough to make accessing the jacks easier. Unfortunately the depth of the board isn't large enough to put external jack sockets on, but if I can find the right mountable connector hopefully it will have a power cable socket on the side.

The one thing I am struggling to source is a decent loop Velcro carpet that will be large enough to cover the whole of the new plywood board (102x45cm).  If anyone has any ideas of where I should be looking then please chime in.  Also if you have any other suggestions let me know.  I'll probably be asking for guidance on applying tweed soon as well!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tesco value door mat is usually the answer, although probably not quite long enough. You just need to go to a large Tesco. Think they are about £1.99, I used one ( cut down) to replace the velcro on my kinsman board. I have also heard self adhesive carpet tiles used - no additional glue to buy.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Indeed. My home-made one just has regular carpet tiles and it holds the velcro very nicely, thankyou.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Haven't tried it myself but another suggestion I've seen more than once is the carpet for covering in-car subs and the like that they sell in Halfords
  • Wilkinsons economy doormat is good - 88p, as I recall.

Better is really short-pile carpet, purchasable in squares. It's more expensive, but gives a much more solid grip on the velcro.

I just used Araldite to glue either type onto my board, and then screwed it down to ensure that there wasn't any lifting.
    <space for hire>
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited September 2013
    mike257;42358" said:
    Haven't tried it myself but another suggestion I've seen more than once is the carpet for covering in-car subs and the like that they sell in Halfords
    Just looked on Halfords website as I actually have a voucher for there that I never thought I would use. It's pricey for what it is, but now searching for Box cloth on eBay has given me a load of options!

It should work out at less than £6 for enough cloth for 2 attempts! May even push the boat out and get a 99p sample to check how well the hook Velcro sticks to it.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.
    Cheers
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7826
    I used double-sided sticky tape and MDF for attaching my EHX pedals without taking off the rubber feet

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    nickb_boy;42444" said:
    [quote="mike257;42358"]Haven't tried it myself but another suggestion I've seen more than once is the carpet for covering in-car subs and the like that they sell in Halfords
    Just looked on Halfords website as I actually have a voucher for there that I never thought I would use. It's pricey for what it is, but now searching for Box cloth on eBay has given me a load of options!

It should work out at less than £6 for enough cloth for 2 attempts! Mary even push the boat out and get a 99p sample to check how well the hook Velcro sticks to it.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.
    Cheers
    [/quote]

Box cloth, that's the stuff, couldn't remember the "proper" name for it. Yeah, everything is dear in Halfords! eBay deal sounds worth a punt for sure.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I use B&Q carpet tiles. Works brill and last for ever. :)