• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    ^ +1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3846
    @dogload ; that outfit looks fabulous!

What's the Squier Jag like?
  • dogload said:
    Well I got my Vaporizer to play with yesterday, though I haven't managed to get a chance to actually let rip on it (that's today's task!).
    However, I couldn't resist taking a picture of it with the matching Jag.

@suspiciousminds have you found it to be very noisy? Lots of the reviews I read mentioned the overly-noisy reverb, but as I mentioned earlier, I found it to have only a very gentle hiss and not intrusive at all. I too am looking forward to chucking some pedals at it!
    I don't like this amp, but seriously, that looks AWESOME.  

If ever you fall out of love, don't sell it, give it MJW or something and get him to make it sound different. That's too cool a look to get rid of!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    @Neil the Jag is very nice now. I have replaced the pickups with Duncan Antiquities so the sound is far more nuanced- it was a little bit 'slap in the face' with the original pickups. I've also replaced the bridge with an AVRI which seems a little more substantial (though I may be buying into the snake oil there!). It's taken a little bit of setting up, but even with the original pickups I found that I preferred it to my Japanese one.

Thanks @ThePrettyDamned I have to admit that it does draw one's attention sat next to the xmas tree!

I gave the amp a good run-out yesterday with my full pedalboard and I have to say that I am impressed. My only complaint would be the depth of the reverb- or lack of it. I had read about this in some of the reviews, but it is not a deal-breaker; the actual clean sound is very articulate, and responds very well to what you shove in the front. I usually use the 'bright' channel in an amp when given the choice, but I found the 'normal' channel on the Vaporizer to be more than up to the job with my Jag, a Jazzmaster and DeArmond M75T. I haven't tried it with my Peerless Songbird (which is quite dark) or humbuckers yet, but maybe it will require the 'bright' channel.
    Another thing is that it sounds amazing with fuzz!
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3846
    dogload said:
    @Neil the Jag is very nice now. I have replaced the pickups with Duncan Antiquities so the sound is far more nuanced- it was a little bit 'slap in the face' with the original pickups. I've also replaced the bridge with an AVRI which seems a little more substantial (though I may be buying into the snake oil there!). It's taken a little bit of setting up, but even with the original pickups I found that I preferred it to my Japanese one.

Thanks for that - I definitely see one of those in my future.
  • suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 410
    edited January 2015
    @dogload
    I've been giving my amp a run through with my lpj today (bridge p90) vaporiser on, plugged into the bright channel.
    I notice a sort of a "whooshing" sound, when the vaporiser is on - have you experienced this?
    @suspiciousminds

to be honest I haven't used the vaporizer mode much. Mostly just to show she-who-flashed-the-cash just how impressive the amp actually is. Can't say I noticed anything untoward though. 

Sure it's not the ongoing festive miasma? :)
  • suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 410
    edited January 2015
    Maybe, well impressed so far though - played my fuzz barn through it today and it sounded great.
  • I've been reading reviews on the net about this and a few have commented on the valves being not the best (ruby tubes).Anyone suggest a better valve make to fit?
    There's quite a bit here

The OP has done a fair bit of poking around in his!