Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Asking for discounts or a lower price via txt message

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2450

jd0272 said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Lets say you come across something you want on Gumtree and there is a phone number. If you're too afraid to call them and want to text them only, please be aware that you'll come across much better if you do the following:

1. Say hello
    2. Give them your name.
    3. Say please and thankyou.

If you just text them with "£60 for the pedal" and nothing else, they're going to think you're an arsehole.

Just a suggestion folks!
    So you'd not accept £60 for it then? As long as I got me money they can be as socially ignorant as they want really.
    Agreed.  Although a bit of politeness wouldn't go amiss, I'd be a bit curious if someone text me about a pedal in a formal manner.  Having said that, I've dealt with some "arseholey" type texts, and after meeting them and doing a deal, they were actually alright.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    edited December 2014
    I texted Drew's mum and got £20 off watersports.
    My V key is broken
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
     Fuck n hey dude. ows abar 3ton fer ye pedle.  
    The dough is ready to go bro so dont snooze or youll looze.

Excuse me and hello My Names Roger, would you be prepared to accept £22.50 for your lovely pedal. I would be ever so grateful? love hugs and kissess on all your pink parts! xxx

I got these 2 replies recently. My pink parts are still smarting.

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I had a text a while ago which just said "40 m8"  I ignored it.  Kept getting repeated identical texts, so eventually I sent a message back asking what they were up to.  

"4 yr gmtre ad m8" was the reply.  I had at least six things on Gumtree at the time, and replied with "I have multiple listings on Gumtree - which one were you enquiring about in particular?"

"th 1 yr sellin on gmtre m8"

I did quite literally facepalm.

I'll happily admit that I'm far too judgemental about the way people type sometimes - If I get a nicely formatted polite response to an ad, you're going to have a much higher chance of getting it cheaper than if you just send "I'll give you 20 mate."
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    In fairness it can be just as bad being on the other end.  I saw an ad on Gumtree, sent a very polite and sweet message asking if they would consider a lower offer and all I got back was "No fuckie less than £30.".   No 'thank you' or 'I appreciate the offer'.  Wish I hadn't bothered.
    What about suckie?

• DominicDominic Frets: 16296
    Had complete Morons from Gumtree and the very occaisional human. FIRSTLY, my name is not BRO or GEEZER !
    I dont respond to the hood-rat txt talk and they never seem to follow up 
    What I have noticed in the last 4 months is a lot of computer generated canvassing of ads - they always come from email adresses with E European female names ,Yadviga 262 or Ekaterina T OR SIMILAR with a very broad generic -" I am very interested to buy your Gumtree ad " - I dont reply but not sure IF I want to sell "the ad " anyway! Quite Bizarre