Frickin spam emails

What's Hot
How do you stop them when they won't let you unsubscribe? Is there someone in the UK you can report them to or something? 

I've had emails for years from Oldskool Hooligans after buying 1 tshirt. The unsubscribe button in the email is just an email link, and every time I write they say I'm no longer on their list, but that's clearly bullshit as I keep getting the emails. I don't actually care about the emails, it's far more the principal tbh.

RAH! What to do?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Haven't you got a spam filter?

I'm never convinced that when you unsubscribe that the bastards don't just send your e-mail addy to someone else, thus perpetuating the problem

• Haven't you got a spam filter?

I'm never convinced that when you unsubscribe that the bastards don't just send your e-mail addy to someone else, thus perpetuating the problem

Yeah, it's just irritating and their incompetence (and lack of auto-unsubscribe) makes me want to cause them trouble :p
  • Just set up a filter or rule to trash a specific address if their subscribe doesn't work.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    Sign them up to as many marketing emails as you can find ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071

RAH! What to do?
    Log in, change the details of your email address, perhaps to a temporary address which self-destructs after a few emails.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    Ooh - I like that plan.  That hadn't occurred to me.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use disposable addresses, one for each supplier I deal with. I can tell instantly who's given my email address to someone who shouldn't have it, and I can delete the disposable address for anyone I no longer wish to hear from without having to unsubscribe. That's one of the few good points about the BT Yahoo email service.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    I use disposable addresses, one for each supplier I deal with. I can tell instantly who's given my email address to someone who shouldn't have it, and I can delete the disposable address for anyone I no longer wish to hear from without having to unsubscribe. That's one of the few good points about the BT Yahoo email service.

I do something similar

Somebody on MR pointed out that if you have a gmail account - say myusername[at]gmail.com - you can use as many aliases as you wish using '+' after myusername. For example, my amazon email is 'myusername+amazon[at]gmail.com'. Some places will reject the email addy as invalid though, but mostly it works

Makes it easy to trace spam and easy to block individual aliases if one gets onto some dodgy list somewhere

All practice and no theory
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    I don't get many genuine emails on account of the fact that I'm less popular than jimmy Saville in a kids home, so I like the spam emails, they make me feel loved and wanted.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, I use the + thing with anything remotely suspicious. You just get the odd one that's intensely irritating and doesn't have a proper unsubscribe option.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited December 2014
    I use disposable addresses, one for each supplier I deal with. I can tell instantly who's given my email address to someone who shouldn't have it, and I can delete the disposable address for anyone I no longer wish to hear from without having to unsubscribe. That's one of the few good points about the BT Yahoo email service.
    Cunning!!

@stickyfiddle You should just publish their email address on a few forums.  When I put my email address on here when I was selling my guitar I started getting those ""<PPI_Claims_Return>"" emails.  
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    @Phil_aka_Pip How does that work then ?  If you buy something from www.awebsite.com and use a disposable address, how do you then know who has given that address out ?  Do you have forwarding setup for every disposable address to your real address, and are you really keeping records of which address you gave to which supplier ? - or have I got this arse-backwards ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • I use an address which is unique to awebsite.com ... if I receive email on that address from anyone other than awebsite then I know that awebsite has divulged the address. BTyahoo sends mail addressed to your disposable address to your real address so you receive it all in the same place.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself