mooer rat clone vs rat?????

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
next pedal to buy is a rat - simply because everyone likes them.

I'd prefer to get something with a small footprint so I'm thinking about the black moor which I believe is a clone of the rat.

can anyone offer (or should it be proffer) any opinions on them compared to a proco rat?

ta

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited December 2014
    Its awesome, its actually slightly bassier/thicker compared to a current production RAT2 and has the option of the turbo mode. I'm using it cranked for post-metal wall of death.

Its weak point is the selector knob though, which broke off on my last one. Might be worth keeping the foam knob cover it comes with.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Got both there is a very subtle difference if you directly A/B them...but if your in a band no way could you tell. And the Moorer is 2 rats in one regular and turbo so...!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I got one from a bass playing Rat uber-fan who had just managed to get himself another original version. He really rated the Mooer and reckoned the differences are pretty negligible, but obviously enough when A/B'd for him to favour the genuine article!

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    When I compared them, the mooer was a bit smoother and had more low mids, basically as @siraxeman describes. They're pretty close to each other. I just don't have quite as much faith in the Mooer lasting reliably until it's the age of my Rat 2!

Funnily enough Siraxeman when you say "if you're in a band no way could you tell"... I've actually found at times that I've noticed differences in how pedals sound while playing with my band that I would never have been able to pick out in isolation. Some pedals make you sit right, some pedals make you fight them a bit. I don't know which are which until I try them along with bass+ drums!
    edited December 2014

I bet if you was blindfolded and you played your pedalboard and one of your band members had swapped a Moorer in your Rats place on your board you'd not think "bugger somethings wrong here..."

edited December 2014
    Watch this vid (above) and open another window so you can browse the web whilst listening to the vid but not watching which pedal is which to take away any possible bias...n see what you think ie if the differences are that much that you'd notice or care ?
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    that's decided then.  little pedal of goodness (probably for after crimbo)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That video compares the Mooer to a current, made in China, Rat2. Older ones sound different due to the circuit board layout and better quality pots (not the chip, as some will tell you).
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/