Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Open letter to Russell Brand

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    da**ed 
    Took me ages to work out what that was. Did it need to be censored?
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrew said:
    da**ed 
    Not if you used r instead of m.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    beed84;448764" said:
    The letter mentioned Russell so many times.  Does he fancy him or something?
    I think he's showing Russell that he's not afraid to use his name. Sounds a bit patronising too, which I think is what he was going for.

He certainly achieved a patronising tone, but he made himself look foolish in the process. 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I like the Brand quote in his reply: "when I was poor and complained about inequality, people told me I was bitter, now I'm rich and complaining about inequality people tell me I'm a hypocrite, I'm beginning to think they don't want social change on the agenda".
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited December 2014
    holnrew said:
    da**ed 

My great granddad called damsons "dampsons" because he thought it was too close to swearing and he'd go to h*ll and stuff.

Edit: Further obfuscation of impropriety. You can never be too careful. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Drew_fx;448064" said:
    Russell Brand is a knob-head.
    Glass houses young man. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Fuck Geldolf!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    blueskunk said:
    Fuck Geldolf!
    He might let you if you ask nicely !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    blueskunk said:

Fuck Geldolf!
    Typo, or subtle interpretation of 'I Never Loved Eva Braun'?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    blueskunk said:
    Drew_fx;448064" said:
    Russell Brand is a knob-head.
    Glass houses young man. ;)
    Oi pissteeth! Wind yer neck in!
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited December 2014
    You know, I think all this 'inequality' talk is a total red herring. Came in from rehearsal last night and caught the back end of 'Tatler'. Are they more equal than I am ? If I were rich, I sure as h**l would not be hanging with that moronic crew.  For my money Harry & Paul have got it nailed with the Slobs and I Saw you Coming: it's the CULTURE innit ?

This country has one of the most egalitarian (if not the best) education systems in the world, and both the Slobs and the ISYC crowd reject it.  We have a medical service free at the point of need - which imperfect as it is - is the envy of most countries. It is however abused by the Slobs and rejected by the ISYCs (who again go private).  

I fail to see how this is unequal: both cultures have the opportunity.

One might argue that the Slobs do not have access to private education - but if they don't want state education why would they want private education ?  The middle classes might well resent the fact that they cannot afford private education, but they are hardly starving, are they ?  Is the mantra to be "Gold-plated Rollers for all"?

We do have a housing shortage - in the South. In the North there is plenty of housing, and much better roads.  There is a lot of talk about having 'the right to work and housing in or near your community'. Utter bollocks.  Work has never been something which you could guarantee - that is what economic migration means. My parents left Cornwall after the War and I could never find a permanent job there either (l did go back for a while).  

Here where I live now - where I found work -  2 Albanian brothers 10 years ago set up a car wash in the Homebase car park on the edge of the most 'deprived' ward in the town.  A decade later, they employ hundreds and have successful local property and car sales businesses. Before you shout 'Mafia', they were raided last year by HMRC and Immigration and came up clean as a whistle. Meanwhile everyone on the nearby estate who was unemployed then still is now (give or take).

I am so fed up with people in this country whining. You want to see deprivation, go to Africa - at least I'm with Bob there.
    edited December 2014
    The difference of opportunity is this:

Anyone from the lower classes striving to improve their lot will have to make allies, work hard, save money, make sacrifices and after doing so figure out if and when they've made it and then learn how to relax... whereas the posh twits on that Tatler programme will need to stop worrying if it's all that important if they wear the wrong shade of blue for a Tuesday.

The success story you've mentioned, I think again points at the British education system - Private Schools put a value on confidence and communication... the rest (and to a degree I'd include Grammar schools) put a big emphasis on being correct or being silent... people are afraid to try and fail and it's so pervasive in society, but not discussed that it's been hard-baked in (almost like post-hypnotic suggestion) which means it happens when we're young...

like the old Indian trick of taking an elephant calf from it's mum and chaining it to a tree - distraught the calf pulls at the chain all night and it doesn't budge - when it's full grown it associates having it's leg tied with a binding it will not break, so a piece of string around a sapling is enough to dishearten it and render it immobile.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited December 2014
    Sure Frank but you ain't going to correct what you are talking about with income redistribution, or chip-on-the-shoulder politics.
    Learning how to relax after success is the same principle as appreciating how well off you already are compared to most people in the world. Sure let's strive for better, but it ain't a RIGHT.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5040
    Only one question guys, who is Russell Brand?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• The trouble with this whole money redistribution lark is, most of us would only get a couple of £100 quid on average
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Back in the 80s there was Russell Grant... who faired so much better than Russell StudentLoan ... approached some venture capitalists with an idea and 20 years later everyone except you has heard of Russell Brand.. he doesn't live very far from where I work as the Russell Crowe flies.

Here's a picture:
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32016
    edited December 2014
    The trouble with this whole money redistribution lark is, most of us would only get a couple of £100 quid on average
    There's a far greater imbalance than you think then - according to Oxfam Britain's five richest families have more combined wealth than the poorest 20% of the population.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/mar/17/oxfam-report-scale-britain-growing-financial-inequality

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    p90fool said: Axe_meister said: The trouble with this whole money redistribution lark is, most of us would only get a couple of £100 quid on average There's a far greater imbalance than you think then - according to Oxfam Britain's five richest families have more combined wealth than the poorest 20% of the population.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/mar/17/oxfam-report-scale-britain-growing-financial-inequality

Um... so fucking what? They worked for it. Why
    should their wealth be redistributed?
    edited December 2014
    How did they work for it? Crawling out of some upper class bint's welly-boot top doesn't really count as work does it these days?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom