Christmas cards?

What's Hot

Who sends Christmas cards these days? I've cut right back on them for two reasons, firstly the increased cost of postage, and secondly the advent of social media making contact far easier.

Some of my acquaintances still plough on with the tradition, and I still get the odd card from people who I haven't had any contact with for many years, though. I went to see my 82-year old mum this week, she's a staunch card-sender, and woe-betide anyone who fails to send her a card in return. That would be something akin to being 'unfriended' on Facebook.

While I was there, I took the opportunity to browse through some of the cards she had, and came across this little gem. Mum's eyesight is not that good these days, and I'm guessing she was unable to read the message on the front.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/imagejpg1_zps3caf1af4.jpg

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Ha that's great! 

I like Xmas cards but don't send hundred's like they did in the olden days, I remember my Mum and Dad's house being littered with them-literally hundreds hanging off string off the walls. I'd be disapointed if I didn't get a few-Birthday cards I can take or leave.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I try not to. Only family and colleagues really. Our office tends to donate to a local hospice.

But the amount the kids bring/give out, sheesh...
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    I don't get the whole card thing, and do it with family only grudgingly. However, I get all manner of cold, unspoken resentment if I send them only cheap cards. I think my family feel I must spend at least £3 on something that will get thrown away. Bloody families.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    VimFuego;448556" said:
    I don't get the whole card thing, and do it with family only grudgingly. However, I get all manner of cold, unspoken resentment if I send them only cheap cards. I think my family feel I must spend at least £3 on something that will get thrown away. Bloody families.
    Budget cards here!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    Not a big sender of cards and I wish the tradition would just die.  Sitting here right now and resenting the three that I "have" to write.  I've also just noticed that my Woolworths cards -- which I guess are now vintage items -- seem to have finally gone. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Mrs gets loads. She gives one to everyone we work with as well as all the family. I have to drive round delivering all the last minute ones or the ones that are too close to justify a stamp.
    Ones we receive get put up in the living room with the tree and deccies and we wont even be here for christmas!.
    But its not about us it it?
    Its for the kids.........
    good news is the Card Factory sells much more affordable cards these days.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I have only a few to do, I got a pack about 8 years ago, still going strong......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    edited December 2014
    JAYJO said:
    Mrs gets loads. She gives one to everyone we work with as well as all the family. I have to drive round delivering all the last minute ones or the ones that are too close to justify a stamp.
    Ones we receive get put up in the living room with the tree and deccies and we wont even be here for christmas!.
    But its not about us it it?
    Its for the kids.........
    good news is the Card Factory sells much more affordable cards these days.
    When i say she gives one to everyone we work with as well as all the family!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We've been living in our current house for 7 years now, and we still without fail get a random card each year addressed to someone else, who aren't even the people we bought the house from, and they lived here for at least 4 years.

our previous house was unoccupied for 20 years before we renovated it, yet for the 1st 5 years or so we'd get a card and a phone call from an old girl called Winney (she always left a message when we were out at work). Then one year they stopped and we assumed she'd died. Made me a bit sad in a way.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    I hate getting obligations in the post
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    My answer is simply stick my name on as well will ya babe
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    edited December 2014
    I can't be doing with people who think it's okay to buy a goat for someone in the third world, rather than send me a card.

I really don't get what the 'win' is with this; I'm disappointed, the third-world family has another mouth to feed, the goat preferred living where it did and the people who can't be arsed sending cards are still out of pocket....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    edited December 2014
    Guess I'm the odd one here then. I like getting cards and we still send them out every year.

What winds me up though is the friggin round robin letters that some people insist on putting in with the card, telling you how many luxury holidays they've had, the price of their new car and how well their offspring are doing at uni.
    boogieman said:

What winds me up though is the friggin round robin letters that some people insist on putting in with the card, telling you how many luxury holidays they've had, the price of their new car and how well their offspring are doing at uni.
    I was gonna say that you and I clearly don't share the same social circle, but I'm not even sure I'm in the same plane of existence as you and you social circle.

• boogieman said:
    Guess I'm the odd one here then. I like getting cards and we still send them out every year.

Send them one back giving an overview of the changes to your pedal board over the last year in minute detail.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    boogieman said:

I was gonna say that you and I clearly don't share the same social circle, but I'm not even sure I'm in the same plane of existence as you and you social circle.
    Lol. One of my friends has made a fair bit of money from setting up her own business and my niece-by-marriage is seriously loaded, but it doesn't mean I've got any myself.
    boogieman said:

Send them one back giving an overview of the changes to your pedal board over the last year in minute detail.
    That did made oi larf.
    >:D<